Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Column C is a column of text that is comprised of 2 other columns (A & B) of text combined by the following formula, for example: A1&" to "&B1. Column C could be as long as 2500 rows, or as short as 25 rows. The text in columns A & B could be as short a 1 word or as long a 5 words, with each word from 2 to 15 letters each. What I would like to do in Column C is wherever a certain word or words appear before or after the "to", i. e., the words from the respective cell in column A or B, I would like to highlight that cell (in Column C) in, say, yellow. For example, if the result in C3 is "Jim Bob to Mary Louise Smith", and I wanted to highlight C3 if "Jim Bob" is present before the "to", C3 would be highlighted. In the alternative, if the result in C4 is "Elvis to Mary Anne Smith", and I wanted to highlight the cell if Mary Anne Smith was present after the "to", the cell would be highlighted. Any ideas?
    Thanks in advance.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Try the attached "Conditional Formatting". It always uses Yellow for highlight, any other colors can be used.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Tim. Actually, I meant to shade the cell in yellow, not to change the color of the text. Any ideas?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Try this ...

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Here is another idea ..... Change Cell E2 or F2 be the name you want highlighted in Col C. For example try changing E2 to Elvis and see the changes in Col C.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Tim. One further question: can we insert "or" argumants into the conditional formatting arguments? For example, if A2=either Elvis or Jim Bob, but B2 didn't equal Mary Anne Smith, could we shade the cell?
    Thanks again

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jlkirk View Post
    Thanks Tim. One further question: can we insert "or" argumants into the conditional formatting arguments? For example, if A2=either Elvis or Jim Bob, but B2 didn't equal Mary Anne Smith, could we shade the cell?
    Thanks again
    Hello jlkirk - Will this do what is needed?

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Tim, works great!