Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello everyone! A friend of mine uses AOL for email; I am not sure who his ISP is, AOL or someone else. I am checking on that.

Yesterday, I received 4 emails from him without a subject which he has done before so that in itself was not unusual. It was actually 3 emails with one duplicate, all ending with the extension .php and were for a Canadian Pharmacy. Each email went to different people in his address book but there was some over lap as you see, I received all 4.

I've heard about this, read about it and do not remember what to do next. Please remember: this is AOL email account so instructions for different email programs such as Outlook might not necessarily apply. I have been looking into this since yesterday and AOL has given me the least help!

Thank you for your time and help with this!

cs.
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world."
    Mahatma Ghandi

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You will probably find your friend has not sent the emails from his aol account, rather his address has been harvested and is being used to sneak through the spam filters.
    Check the email headers to see if the email really did come from aol. If so, your friend needs to change his password immediately, preferably to something less easy to guess.

cheers, Paul

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello Paul,

I did check the header and it is as if my friend had sent it. Besides first deleting all of the emails he can and running Malwarebytes, etc. before he resets his password to his AOL email from another computer, is there ANYTHING ELSE he should do? I don't want to miss anything!

Is there a way to verify that the computer is clean afterwards?

Thanks for your help!

cs.
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world."
    Mahatma Ghandi

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Most likely an attacker has guessed his password and is using his account. Just change the password to something reasonably complex.

cheers, Paul