2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    A very strange thing happened today and I'd be interested to hear anyone's views on this. I apologise that the information I can give about it is pretty sketchy.

My elderly neighbour has been given a laptop which is running Vista Business user OS. (She had no choice.) She has no computer skills whatsoever so I have been assisting her. The person who sold the laptop and who set up her internet contact via a ZyXEL modem has disappeared and she does not know the password for the modem's security.

I allowed the laptop to download and install a few MS security updates and it rebooted itself during this process. When it loaded, it could not connect and I got an error which basically said that the passwords did not match. After unsuccessfully trying to find out why it would not connect I went into the control panel and viewed the list of updates. The latest date shown was 15/11/10 so I, wrongly, assumed that that was today's date and proceeded to uninstall the updates I had just installed (I thought). I uninstalled one, number 98...... which I though must be the last one installed then uninstalled another and the laptop asked to be rebooted which I did.

When it rebooted, it connected automatically. I have temporarily told the laptop not to download and install updates automatically, but was I lucky and found the one update that caused this or is there another explanation? I know I can reinstall them one by one and see if the same thing happens, but it's such a slow machine! My next task is to see what is loading at start up and see if I can speed it up for her.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    If you can bring the page up showing the modem password hiding behind asterisks, there are a few programs that will reveal the password.
    Asterisk Key from Passware.

cheers, Paul

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Paul, and do I use http:// 192.168.2.1/ to get into the router home page?

If it goes again I will try this, but my point was that when I uninstalled two of the security updates, it reconnected so I'm assuming that they (or one of them) may have been the problem though I can't understand how.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Maybe they enabled the firewall and that stopped your internet? Don't really know.

cheers, Paul