Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    My OS is Win 7 Pro 32 bit.

To gain some space on my hard drives I deleted all previous restore points (via Control Panel- System Protection\Configure) and created a new one, relying on the fact that I have an up to date system image for my C drive, and backups of everything important on another drive. However, if I open System Restore I find that it lists not only the restore point I created, plus the System Image dated two days before the new restore point, but also quite a number of older System Image Restore points. (When I created the latest system image I deleted the older ones).

How can this happen?

Also, I recently formatted my D drive, then "recreated" it as a Simple Volume using the NTFS file system, and used drive letter D for the drive again. (I then restored the contents with a third party backup). I found that the drive was then shown as D (D in Computer Management, so I opened Computer and right clicked the drive to rename it just (D. Presumably as a result of this System Protection now lists not only the (D drive but also-with a folder icon-D, which it shows as "missing". How can I get rid of this reference to the missing D?

Your help would be appreciated.

Thanks and regards,
    Roy
    OS Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit & Windows 7 Pro With SP1 64 bit. (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy Whitethread View Post
    My OS is Win 7 Pro 32 bit.

To gain some space on my hard drives I deleted all previous restore points (via Control Panel- System Protection\Configure) and created a new one, relying on the fact that I have an up to date system image for my C drive, and backups of everything important on another drive. However, if I open System Restore I find that it lists not only the restore point I created, plus the System Image dated two days before the new restore point, but also quite a number of older System Image Restore points. (When I created the latest system image I deleted the older ones).

How can this happen?

Also, I recently formatted my D drive, then "recreated" it as a Simple Volume using the NTFS file system, and used drive letter D for the drive again. (I then restored the contents with a third party backup). I found that the drive was then shown as D (D in Computer Management, so I opened Computer and right clicked the drive to rename it just (D. Presumably as a result of this System Protection now lists not only the (D drive but also-with a folder icon-D, which it shows as "missing". How can I get rid of this reference to the missing D?

Your help would be appreciated.

Thanks and regards,
    Roy
    Roy, if you are using a reputable backup program and you trust it, disable system restore.
    -
    If you use a backup image to restore your D drive, it will return it to the way it was. If you copy the files to an external hdd, then you can format it, and return your files by copying them to it, then make a new backup.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello Roderunner,

Hello Roderunner,

Sincere thanks for your reply.

I turned off system restore on all drives and deleted all restore points.

As a trial, I booted from my Win 7 repair disk, which went through the usual routine of loading files and searching for Windows installations, and then identified Win 7 Pro as being on drive E, whereas it's on drive C. I assume this is a quirk of the system repair operation and is nothing to worry about. Similarly, when I chose the option to restore from a system image my one image was shown as being on drive D, whereas it's on internal drive H. The image date was correct but the image time shown was based on GMT minus 8, whereas my time zone is GMT plus 1. Again I assume the time factor is just a quirk of the system repair operation.

With my third party backup program (Oops!Backup which is free, easy to use, and works perfectly for me) I have backed up:

My C:\Users\Roy\AppData\Local folder, but in the Microsoft sub folder I have only included Windows Live Mail, as this was my main concern in including anything from the C drive. I did this "just in case", bearing in mind I have a system image of C, which I will periodically replace with an updated image.

Contacts\Desktop\Documents\Downloads\Favorites and Pictures, all from the C drive, again as an insurance.

My other 3 drives.

The only thing I have not backed up is the backup drive itself, which I will do when I can afford to get another drive.

I would appreciate your confirmation that I have not missed anything, and meantime thanks for your help.

Best regards,
    Roy
    OS Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit & Windows 7 Pro With SP1 64 bit. (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    Hi Roy, instead of confirming your 'modus operandi' heres mine.
    I never use system restore, never backup anything except 1.
    My hdd is C: 45gb for both, D: depends on hdd size, I have a laptop & desktop.
    C: only has a few pictures, D: has what ever I use most.
    I could safely format the full hdd on any of my PC's and have it back to where it was within 1 hour. WHY
    I have 3 external hdd's, 1 for each PC, and the other for data of friends. Everything in D: laptop + D: desktop is in an external hdd. copied not imaged.
    I use Acronis 2010 to do a 'system backup' of C: drive, everytime one of my programs gets an update.
    I always keep 3 backups, in case one gets corrupted. Backup image size, about 6gb takes about 7 minutes, recovery is even faster.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Presumably as a result of this System Protection now lists not only the (D drive but also-with a folder icon-D, which it shows as "missing". How can I get rid of this reference to the missing D?
    If you mess with system partitions using third party partitioning tools, while the partitions have system protection turned "on", you may get these "ghost" partitions. Simply right click on "computer", go to "properties", click on "System Protection" on the left hand menu. Go to the "System Protection" tab, select the "ghost" drive and click "configure". Under "restore settings" select "turn off system protection" and the ghost drive will go away.

Thanks
    If you absolutely have to have system restore on at least turn it off to all drives and partitions other than the primary os partition.
    I can see no use whatsoever in having system restore on partitions or other drives.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    As previously stated (I believe, it's pretty early here) with good Up To Date Images system restore becomes a moot point. Since system restore is a somewhat limited restore tool, and you have these aforementioned up to date Images, then why bother. Turn it off and save some disk space for more valuable stuff.

mercyh, thanks for the useful info on System Protection. I found a couple of ghost drives when I checked. One thumbs up for you.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to everyone who replied to my question. You have put my mind at rest.

Regards,
    Roy

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    Just to be contrary, I find System Restore to be useful even though I have a weekly schedule of disk imaging. System Restore has cured all the problems I have incurred (mainly bad driver issues) and takes far less time than a image restore. Windows 7 also seems to create Restore Points far more often than my weekly system image, so I lose less data if I have to Restore. I have also cured many many virus issues on other computers via a System Restore and the use of Malware Bytes and Hijack This.

Jerry

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Clint, hello.

You said : I can see no use whatsoever in having system restore on partitions or other drives.

Then just to spike you, Jerry W said that it is used to good end, I concur. If I am mucking about on a machine and it quits/freezes, a restore will get me back in no time at all. Getting the cloned HD connected, if one finds that elusive USB cable, getting Acronis going takes a bit of time, much more than a Restore. Both are good protections.

My $2.00 ! I do not bother with ¢.

Jean.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    After reflecting on the various posts I decided to use System Restore again. However, it is again behaving mysteriously (it's a mystery to me, anyway), in that having previously deleted all restore points on my 3 internal drives, then turning off system restore on all 3, then switching it back on and creating a new restore point on each drive, when I open System restore it lists not only the new restore points I created but also System Image restore points dating back to July, whereas I had deleted all System Images except a recent one.

Can somebody explain how this can happen please?

Thanks in anticipation of your help.

Regards,
    Roy

Roy Whitethread

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    When you say system images, are you talking about windows 7 backup images? I am not sure how this works on windows 7 but on Server 2008 R2, if you delete all the shadow copies on a disk, the windows backup shows them as available until windows backup runs again. On the next run backup checks what shadow copies are available and reports the correct number of restore points...

The following command line tool will show you everything you ever wanted to know about what restore points are available. (you can also create, delete, list and manipulate the shadow copies with it)

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc788116(WS.10).aspx

This command must be run from an elevated command prompt. (You must right click the icon for the command prompt and say "run as administrator")

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello mercyh,

Thanks for your response.

At the risk of including irrelevant information, I would sum up my situation as follows:

Control Panel-Backup and Restore-says the last backup was cancelled. (I cancelled Windows backup when I realised that I could not navigate through the backup files created and see their contents, whereas I can with the backup program I use). Backup and Restore shows the last backup was on 17 October, and I assume this is the one I cancelled, because if I click Restore my files I am told there are no backups available at this location, and if I click "Select another backup to restore files from" no backup locations are shown.

If I go to Control Panel-Recovery-System Restore- System Restore lists an "Automatic Restore Point" created today, plus various System Image Restore Points dating back to 31 July 2010, despite the fact that I used the vssadmin Delete All- Command, and got confirmation that all shadow copies had been deleted! How can this be? (I rebooted twice after using the vssadmin command, but that made no difference).

CCleaner normally shows the same restore points as System Restore, but at present it only shows the restore point automatically created by the system today.

The System Images I refer to are images created using the "Create a system image" feature in Win 7 Pro.

I would appreciate further advice.

Thanks and regards,
    Roy

Roy Whitethread

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I took ownership of System Volume information on my C drive and discovered the old System Image Restore Points resided there. I deleted them and System Restore is back to normal now.

Thanks to everybody who contributed to this post.

Regards,
    Roy

Roy Whitethread

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for posting the final solution.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast