Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Show slide show

New Lounger
    Thanks
    When I try to send several pictures as an attachment the sent email only contains thumbnails of the pictures, across the top, and not the original full size pictures. Below is an instruction "press for slide show". In the upper right corner there appears a box that says something about the pictures remaining in Sky Drive until some future date. What is Sky Drive and how can I get rid of it? I understand it is part of Hotmail that came in Live Essentials. Can I simply uninstall Live Essentials and be rid of the problem?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sky Drive is Microsoft's online storage for live/msn/hotmail account users. You don't get rid of it, just don't use it, but what it sounds like now is that Sky Drive space is being designated as the upload spot for your pictures you send to someone else. Then the recipient gets the link to download the pictures (via clickable thumbnails in the email) or show them as a slideshow.

That's actually a good method for sending pics because you can send like 40 of them and not worry about size restrictions on emails.

I'm assuming you are using Windows Live Mail 2011? So you can use any other email client or in Live Mail you can just send a regualar email instead of a Photo email and click on the paperclip to attach the pics and if it asks if you want to send a photo email instead, say no and keep them as attachments to the email.

I haven't used 2011 to send pics yet but the older version would always ask, so if the new one doesn't and still makes it a photo email then you may have to switch to another client to get them sent as pure attachments.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you Byron. You mention "Regular email" rather than "Photo email". As far as I know I am trying to send Regular Email. I have no idea why I am sending Photo Email and please tell me how to correct this. There must be some selection that I have made wrong or the program set itself up this way when Live Essentials installed itself. I have three Win 7 computers in this room and only mine is causing me this problem. I wouldn't care except my friends don't like the thumbnails. And one even says he can't see the pictures, thumbnails or full size.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ok, in 2011, when you add photos to a new email the default will be a thumbnail style of display, there should also be several other thumbnail arrangement possibilities to choose from in the row of icons embedded in the top portion of the new email message. The first icon should be just a paper clip icon click on that to have them go as attachments with the email.

If a recipient is having problems viewing them on the other end then it is probably because of security they have on thier system or the nature of the recipient's email handling of attachments. Some email programs have a allow attachements to be seen and/or opened check box. Also for HTML image display there is usually a check box.
    For instance that check box in 2011 is under Saftey Options>Security>Download Images.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    You made it sound so easy. BUT! Didn't work for me. The paperclip brings up another box that wants me to create a new folder to put the attachments in. I know it is a box that is checked but shouldn't be. I have looked everywhere I can think of.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Are you using 2011 or an older version? The exact procedure may have changed from version to version.

My exact steps in 2011 were click on new email, then in the new email window click on the paperclip to attach file, that brings up another window in which I select the photos I want to add and I do that. Then the email message automatically changes over to a photo email with a default layout for the photo thumbnails to have in the email. AT that time I click on the Paper clip in the Album Styles sub window in the new email message and the photo album layout disappears and it just lists the photos as attachments and I can send them as attachments.

If you don't see that in your's you probably have an older version running. In one of my older versions, I just attach the files and it recognizes that they are photos so it then puts up a little prompt window and asks to make it a photo email and I say no at that time.

If that's not familiar either, find the About or Help>About and find out exactly what version and build you are running.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Alternately you may have to zip the pics into one zip file and send it that way. Then they won't be recognized as photos but the recipient will have to know the basics about unpacking a zip file to get the contents.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you Byron. I see that I may not have described what I am doing and how I do it adequately. I like to exchange jokes and articles with friends. Sometimes I will collect political jokes, or Maxine-like cartoons, in a scratch file (I created a scratch file on C:\ called Ajunk) and then send those to friends as an attachment to an email. Have been doing it the same way for many years, in all versions of MS Mail. Suddenly, Windows Live Mail 2011 changes the outgoing email attachments to thumbnails and sends them through Sky Drive. It seems to me that my problems started when I set up Hot Mail after I downloaded Live Essentials (it also seems to me that was a FORCED download). I guess I will have to find some way to uninstall the Live Essentials as I don't need or use that extra stuff anyway, and go back to plain ole vanilla Windows Live Mail!!!!!! Hope this explanation helps. Helps you to help me I should say! John

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Another alternative is Pando, though the recipient also has to have Pando installed I believe. Can send/share any file up to 1 gigabyte for free.

As for Windows Live Mail 2011, I don't know what to say further, I set up a test email and sent it to another account of mine (hotmail account to a yahoo account) and it came through as attachments that displayed full size in the email so I'm baffled.

Edit: weblink http://www.pando.com/

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John Stewart View Post
    I see that I may not have described what I am doing and how I do it adequately. I like to exchange jokes and articles with friends. Sometimes I will collect political jokes, or Maxine-like cartoons, in a scratch file (I created a scratch file on C:\ called Ajunk) and then send those to friends as an attachment to an email. Have been doing it the same way for many years, in all versions of MS Mail. Suddenly, Windows Live Mail 2011 changes the outgoing email attachments to thumbnails and sends them through Sky Drive. It seems to me that my problems started when I set up Hot Mail after I downloaded Live Essentials (it also seems to me that was a FORCED download). I guess I will have to find some way to uninstall the Live Essentials as I don't need or use that extra stuff anyway, and go back to plain ole vanilla Windows Live Mail!!!!!! Hope this explanation helps. Helps you to help me I should say! John
    You need to change the options in WIndows Live Mail. Uncheck "Convert messages to photo emails when adding photos".

[attachment=90697:Capture1.png] [attachment=90698:Capture2.png]

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    What fantastic help. Thank you so very much Byron and Joe. Should be able to try out the changes later this morning and will be back if they don't work out. Again I thank you both for your help. John

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    That was a good find in Options, I never even thought to look since it was very simple on my system to change the photo email back to a regular email before sending.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes Byron. I thought it was a great solution also. And I sure thank Joe for it. The problem is -- it didn't work. Windows Live still sends pictures and political cartoons as thumbnails in a slide show rather than just attachments to an email. But the good news is that I am not the only wierdo in this Win 7 atmosphere. My wife and I are now receiving email from a number of others that have the same problem. I am certain that it has something to do with Hotmail and Sky Drive that Microsoft forced on us. Both seem like fine ideas for real computer fiends but to us regular users it is an undesirable surprise! I think the only solution is to roll-back Windows Solutions 2011 entirely -- if possible!!!!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    See this thread - Is there a way to turn off or disable Windows Live Photo Email. Are you using "send to" or just attaching files?

Joe
    Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You aren't forced to use Hotmail in Windows Live Mail if you don't want to use it. I have a Gmail and a Yahoo account (only a premium account qualifies) in Live Mail 2011. Just have to look up the instructions online about how to add the account properly. Sky Drive isn't forced on anyone either, its just there for Microsoft accounts should anyone want to use them and many folks don't want to have to downsize and reduce the quality of photos anymore so there is this background send of the full quality to online storage and a small clickable link thumbnail email to the recipient so it doesn't jam thier inbox and allows them to download the full quality pic.

Microsoft has further defined this online storage as "Sky Drive," and all that means is that its personalized online storage, which allows the pics to stay there longer or even permanently as a backup.

I understand if its not working for you, then its not working, period, and we can't figure out what's wrong, so were batting a great big goose egg. But, when it works, it really is a neat solution to get pics to friends and family without stressing the email system and without compromising quality.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast