iNET Interactive
    Thanks

WOODY'S WINDOWS

Hotmail finally gets secure — sorta

By Woody Leonhard

I'm happy to report that Hotmail finally — finally — offers an optional secure Internet connection.

There's just one little problem: enabling secure Hotmail breaks other features and applications you might need.

The full text of this column is posted at WindowsSecrets.com/2010/11/18/07 (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.
    Last edited by revia; 2011-01-19 at 13:52.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Woody;

I would love to follow your tip and make Hotmail default to the https connection, but... But I ran into a problem when I tried to do the following:

"... go to your Hotmail account overview page and find the link labeled "Connect with HTTPS." (It's near the bottom of the page.) Click the link, and you'll find the radio-button option for activating HTTPS."

Where, exactly, is this "account overview page"? It doesn't seem to be under the "profile" link found in the top-right of my Hotmail page. It doesn't seem to be under the "Home" link found on the left-hand frame menu. So I'm still looking.

But anyway, thanks for the wonderful Newsletter! I've been a paying subscriber for several years now, and will continue as long as you keep up the great work.

Thanks
    @Sheldon -

You need to go to https://account.live.com/ManageSSL

From there you sign in with your Hotmail account, and you'll see the option....
    Woody

For Dummies book author, Senior Contributing Editor for InfoWorld, and long-suffering Windows victim. Check out the latest at AskWoody.com.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Woody. That did it! (But I'm still looking for the "Hotmail Account Overview" page...)