iNET Interactive
    Thanks

BEST PRACTICES

Make your e-mail more professional and portable

By Susan Bradley

Your e-mail address can leave business associates with a good — or not-so-good — impression of you as a businessperson.

Creating a custom domain name for your e-mail can make your correspondence look more professional, and setting it up isn't as hard as it might seem.

The full text of this column is posted at WindowsSecrets.com/2010/11/18/06 (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.
    Last edited by revia; 2011-01-19 at 13:52.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I already do this, but I have hit a snag which you didn't mention.

Lets say my domain is mydomain.com and my name is me.
    Let's also say I have an enmail account set up as xyz@comcast.net.
    I have set up pop3 access so Outlook can access my xyz emails at comcast.net.

So I have created a forward address where if someone emails me at me@mydomain.com, I forward it to my email account at xyz@comcast.net.This works well, EXCEPT when you read any message that was sent from my outlook to someone else, you find that the "From field" contains me name[xyz@comcast.net] As a result of that. several potentially bad things could happen.

If the recipient of the message chhoses to add me to their contact list, they add my xyz@comcast.net address, not my me@mydomain.com address. Similarly, when they hot reply to the message, the reply message goes to xyz@comcast.net. This ok, up until I switch from comcast to Verizon or change my email addresses at comcast.

I have set up outlook (2003) with "Your name" name as "me name" and my "reply to to address" in "General" as me@mydomain.com".

Am I missing something or doesn't this derail the whole scheme?