iNET Interactive
    Thanks

TOP STORY

Microsoft TechNet for the rest of us

By Michael Lasky

Microsoft's TechNet site, dubbed "Resources for IT Professionals," is a rich repository of high-level geek talk plus tips for enterprise-class IT personnel.

But don't let that reputation put you off — TechNet is also a gold mine of excellent tips and tricks for individual Windows users as well.

The full text of this column is posted at WindowsSecrets.com/2010/11/18/01 (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.
    Last edited by andyfboyd; 2011-01-18 at 13:17.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Great column, thanks for the tips. I came across a useful tip the other day:

Remember under XP you could install a patch to Open Command Window Here in a directory? You can do the same for Windows 7, just Shift+Right Click on the directory name from Windows Explorer, and the pop-up menu includes the option.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I thought Vista was lousy and now 7 has lowered the bar.

I'm unable to access Windows Explorer, so my hard drive might as well be paper weight. This appears to be a common problem with a large # of 7 users and the proposed solutions on MS sites are so far, totally useless.

I don't need tips.....I need MS to fix what is their 2nd OS in a row, which is full of faults and defects.

I've had it with MS designing OS's whose main assets are style over substance.

Trust me....buy a Mac.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mike frischenmeyer View Post
    I thought Vista was lousy and now 7 has lowered the bar.

I'm unable to access Windows Explorer, so my hard drive might as well be paper weight. This appears to be a common problem with a large # of 7 users and the proposed solutions on MS sites are so far, totally useless.

I don't need tips.....I need MS to fix what is their 2nd OS in a row, which is full of faults and defects.

I've had it with MS designing OS's whose main assets are style over substance.

Trust me....buy a Mac.
    Do you mean that when you right-click on the Windows 7 Start Button, the Open Windows Explorer item never appears? Or that clicking on it does not open a Windows Explorer window? And do you have references to justify saying that this is a "common" problem? Was this an in-place upgrade, or a clean installation, or a new OEM installation (new computer)?

My new OEM Windows 7 Home Premium installation on my Toshiba Satellite laptop has never had this issue, and I have never seen a posting here or in any other forum saying that there is such an issue as this. But I haven't read every posting from every site on the Web, so maybe there have been isolated complaints of this issue. But nothing widespread, in my Web reading (which is extensive).
    -- Bob Primak --

New Lounger
    Thanks
    This is one of the best articles in a long time. I have, in the past, used TechNet, and it appears from the plethora of information available that it should be helpful in many situations. The problem is in finding pertinent information. I think the advice given in this article is just what I need.