New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm finally going to upgrade my Dell desktop from Vista to Win7. I'm doing a clean install with an upgrade (thanks to Windows Secrets for the tip how to do that).

My current Vista system divides my hard drive into 3 partitions (C; for Win; D: for data and E: for restore).

How can I remove those partitions, then upgrade and use an un-partitioned hard drive for Win7 and all my data?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by George Werner View Post
    I'm finally going to upgrade my Dell desktop from Vista to Win7. I'm doing a clean install with an upgrade (thanks to Windows Secrets for the tip how to do that).

My current Vista system divides my hard drive into 3 partitions (C; for Win; D: for data and E: for restore).

How can I remove those partitions, then upgrade and use an un-partitioned hard drive for Win7 and all my data?
    go to the Disk Management console (type Disk Management in the search box - I think this works with Vista as well) Here you can delete D and E, and then extend the c partition to the newly created unallocated space. If for some reason this does not work in Vista, it will work in Win 7.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Or you can simply delete all partitions and format the entire drive at the time of clean install.
    But I would seriously recommend that you keep at least one of your partitions for backup purposes unless have have a second internal drive.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    I would also seriously consider keeping data on a Data Partition. This allows you to only need to Image your C Drive without creating Images for all your data. If the amount of data is small then an Image is not a significant problem, but for those accumulating huge amounts of data, Imaging this data becomes impractical and incremental backup works far better. I guess in summary if your amount of data is small, then one partition and Imaging works fine. For more data, separate partitions and Imaging the OS partition works better. This keeps your Images smaller and much quicker.

There are several different thoughts on this, but the overwhelming opinion is that the OS partition (C Drive) for Win 7 does not need be any larger than 50 to 75 GB, depending on whether you keep the data in a Data Partition. As Clint states if you do not use an Ext HD for Imaging, dedicate a partition for this as well, similarly to your existing partitioning scheme.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy