Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I started a couple of other threads that are now closed. I have started very few, so it is easy to find them. I run windows 7 64-bit version and Microsoft Office 2010. I previously noted that, when I opened Word, it would immediately give a message that it needed to close. However, If I first unplugged the Internet cable and then opened Word, Word would work properly (except that I can not edit the trust center settings). Word worked properly even after I plugged the Internet cable back in.

I was assured by someone who replied that this had nothing to do with Word.

Now I have another little tidbit. My router went belly up. It had been malfunctioning intermittently for some time and finally just quit. I replaced it with a different router. I made no changes to my computer or its software. Now, I can start Word without the need to unplug the Internet cable first. Do those who read this still say that Word is not calling home?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    There are a couple of reasons that Word (& other Office applications) may access the Internet when started.

1.) If you have your help configured to use Office online an internet connection is required.

2.) A Word addin may check for updates.

Joe
    Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to everyone who tried to help. The problem now seems to be solved. I allowed the Microsoft update feature to install what Microsoft called a "security" update and it fixed the problem. I can now edit the "trust center" settings, and I can now use Outlook. I understand that Microsoft has a history of hiding fixes for bugs that they do not want to acknowledge in security updates. At least they fix them. Thanks again.

Jim AuBuchon