Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a home network consisting of two PCs a Laptop and a Printer connected by wire through a Router. Before I got the Laptop I had no need of any wireless facility. Now that I have a laptop I wanted to replace the 4 port router that I had been using for many years with one that offered WiFi facilities.
    I chose a Linksys WRT610N and have been having problems with it. One of the PCs runs Win7 64bit Ultimate one of the PCs runs WinXP SP3 and the Laptop runs Win7 64 bit Professional.
    I have got the router working and it correctly provides Internet access via wireless and to the PCs via Ethernet cables. The problem arises when I try to move data files from the WinXP PC to the Win7 PC. I use the Win7 PC to locate the file in the WinXP PC and copy it to a folder on the Win7 PC. The copying starts but very quickly slows down and stops with an error message that it has a problem accessing the WinXP PC folder.
    The only thing I see which is unusual is that the WinXP PC is sending and receiving lots of packets to and from the Router. These appear to be SOAP packets whose purpose is unclear and may not be the cause of my problem.

I want to stop the packets but don't know how.

Can anyone help?

Thanks
    Have you set up sharing on all PCs? You may have to choose all folders on the XP machine that you wish to access through the network, right click (I do not remember if this is the exact procedure on XP) and choose to share each folder.

I also use this router. I have included some shots of my settings:

[attachment=90705ost-28545-12902558353114.png]
    [attachment=90703:Security.png]

I then used Insidder 2.0 to check my network connections. With this program you can see what connections work best in your area. For me, because of many networks close by I found the 5 GHz range was far superior for not dropping connections. You can change the freq. range and channels through the Linksys settings shown. (thanks to mercyh for info on Insidder)

[attachment=90704:Insidder.png]

The 2.4 GHz channels are generally very busy with other networks, phone systems, microwaves, etc. All this interference can cause major problems with your wireless connections.You can see how many networks are in my area at the top of the graph, but I am the only router utilizing the 5 GHz band.To sign onto the 5 GHz band, choose this band as your default. The last shot shows the networks I have available to sigh on to, and I choose the 5 GHz band on my router:

[attachment=90706:Media.png]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Cameron View Post
    I have got the router working and it correctly provides Internet access via wireless and to the PCs via Ethernet cables. The problem arises when I try to move data files from the WinXP PC to the Win7 PC. I use the Win7 PC to locate the file in the WinXP PC and copy it to a folder on the Win7 PC. The copying starts but very quickly slows down and stops with an error message that it has a problem accessing the WinXP PC folder.

Can anyone help?
    This link might help you on sharing;How to Geek
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Ted Myers' date='2010-11-20 12:33' timestamp='1290256399' post='868506']
    Have you set up sharing on all PCs? You may have to choose all folders on the XP machine that you wish to access through the network, right click (I do not remember if this is the exact procedure on XP) and choose to share each folder.

I also use this router. I have included some shots of my settings:

[attachment=90705ost-28545-12902558353114.png]
    [attachment=90703:Security.png]

I then used Insidder 2.0 to check my network connections. With this program you can see what connections work best in your area. For me, because of many networks close by I found the 5 GHz range was far superior for not dropping connections. You can change the freq. range and channels through the Linksys settings shown. (thanks to mercyh for info on Insidder)

[attachment=90704:Insidder.png]

Thanks for the reply. I think you may have misled you with my question. Trying to be brief and missing out some salient facts.
    The problem has nothing to do with Wireless.
    The problem is that trying to transfer some very large files (1.45GB) from the WinXP machine to the Win7 machine over the wired connections. The Win7 has a Gigabit connection to the router while the WinXP has only a 100Mbps adapter.
    I use the Win7 machine to open the folder on the WinXP machine and select one of the large files. I then right click and select Copy. I then select the correct folder on the Win7 machine and right click and click Paste. This brings up the usual dialog in which it confirms that it is copying from the WinXp to Win7 and provides a MoreDetails click link. Clicking this opens up more information abut the transfer. Initially it goes at only 200kbps and rapidly slows down to 50 or less kbps. Remember this is a 100Mbps to a 1Gbps transfer.After some time the transfer stops and a dialog appears which states that the Win7 box has a Network Error - There is a problem accessing WinXP\WinXPFolder - Make sure you are connected to the network and try again.
    After numerous retries without success I started to examine what was going on in the network and noticed (using MS Network Monitor) that the WinXP machine was sending and receiving a large number of SOAP protocol packets. I wondered if those might have caused the transfer failure. They certainly seem to slow down internet browsing.