New Lounger
    Thanks
    I am trying to install an program from Freightliner on our new laptop to interface with trucks diagnostics. They tell me i will only run on a 32 bit O/S and did not want to rewrite software for 64 bit. The said we bay be able to run it in XP mode, but I cannot get the program to install. Wondering if there is a work around for this. All the other required, Detroit Diesel, Allison Transmission and any ABS software has install and works properly

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    A couple of questions to help us understand your environment. Is this Win7 Professional or Enterprise? Or is it Home Premium? XP Mode only works in Professional, Enterprise, or Ultimate. I'm also curious why your company chose to use 64 bit. Is it because that is what was installed on the laptop when purchased? I ask because many businesses (including where I work) have chosen to stay with 32 Bit Win 7 for app compatibility. As you have already discovered many software vendors are behind a bit on supporting the latest OSes.
    Chuck

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Did you right click and run as Admin for Install?
    May be just the installer messed up. In the past I have installed something on a 32 tracking changes and recompiled as a standalone installer.
    Installrite http://www.softpedia.com/progDownloa...oad-78545.html

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Rick, hello.

I know nothing of trucking schedule but I know that all my 32bit apps run on my 64bit Toshiba.

The only rebellious one was Paint Shop Pro, I used to just copy it over, it would run but tell me it needed some Registry lines. After I re-installed it from its CD all was in oil.

Jean.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Chuck
    I am dealing with Freightliner. They are really behind the times on updates. All the other software, about $1500.00 worth said Win 7 64 was fine. My fault for not checking on the the stuff I am triying to download. It is called Service Link and it interfaces with the truck to diagnose HVAC, electrical and other non drive train or transmission problems. I have it on a XP laptop but had to upgrade to Win 7 for the ne emission stuff

veegertx
    Thanks for the tip. Have not tried that yet. Will perform that tomorrow.
    Will post the error in detail if I have a problem.

Jean Parrot
    Same here, all my older programs work also. However I have one a maintenance program at home for my motorcycle for my motorcycle that will not run on Win 7 at al, not even in XP mode. Use the old XP desktop for that
    Thanks to all for the replies and the help.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Rick,

It's my bet that the software will run just fine on a 64 bit Operating system. However, the interface between the truck & computer most likely needs a device driver. If Freighliner hasn't written a new 64 bit driver you're out of luck. The bitness of the driver must match the bitness of the Operating system.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If you have Windows 7 Home Premium, then you could use something like VirtualBox (http://www.virtualbox.org/) to install XP within a virtual machine. This gives you the same capability as XP Mode. The only issue is that you would need an XP license. I create an XP VM within VirtualBox to access my old scanner.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Code:
    Same here, all my older programs work also. However I have one a maintenance program at home for my motorcycle for my motorcycle that will not run on Win 7 at al, not even in XP mode. Use the old XP desktop for that
    Harley Davidson
    When first read this thought of my Bro's Harley same situation but it wouldn't even run in 32 on Vista. We got it running but have slept since then.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I finally got ahold of someone at Freighliner that actually knew something. Had him come into the laptop and create some folders under programs. He installed software and everything works fine now.

Many Many thanks to all who replied and offered suggestions to solve my problem
    Rick