Thread: 32 bit to 64?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have Windows 7 Home Premium on my new netbook.It is a 32 bit one.Can it be upgraded to 64 so as to add more memory(than 3 GB)?Sorry if this is a stupid question-I am not computer savvy(as you can see).
    Thanks v.much!

Thanks
    You can clean install to 64 bit but not upgrade install 64 bit from a 32 bit os.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by macko1944 View Post
    I have Windows 7 Home Premium on my new netbook.It is a 32 bit one.Can it be upgraded to 64 so as to add more memory(than 3 GB)?Sorry if this is a stupid question-I am not computer savvy(as you can see).
    Thanks v.much!
    Macko,

Welcome to the Lounge.

You say it is a 32 bit one? The Operating System or the Computer or both? If the Computer only has a 32 bit processor you can not install a 64 bit operating system on it.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Since its a netbook, you may have checked already but, it may not support more memory, and netbooks are generally low performance, ultalights designed for mobile convenience. In fact, if you can put up to 3 in it right now, I can't imagine that component being the deficient one (weakest link) when compared to the rest of the hardware, especially the processor.

So you may be able to install 64-bit 7 and put even more RAM in if supported, but one shouldn't expect any performance gain, but as far as a learning experience it would be good.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    What kind of processor does it have? A Pentium? If so, it cannot run 64-bit. If it is a Core 2, i3, i5 or any AMD CPU then it can run 64-bit.

Most likely your laptop can hold only 4GB RAM. It probably has a 2GB and a 1GB chip in it now - you can replace the 1GB chip with a 2GB chip.

You should install and run CPU-z (http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html) - it will tell you exactly what CPU you have and exactly what RAM chips you have and what their speed is. Print that info out and take it to the computer store with you when you buy the extra RAM - you will want a 2GB RAM chip with the exact same specs as the existing 2GB RAM chip.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks very much to all you who are knowledgeable re computers.The only reason I asked this question was,that before bringing home this new netbook,I asked for a memory upgrade to 4 GB (and paid for it),only to find out (from Woody's book),that with it's 32 bit system,it can only use 3GB-s(even somewhat less actually).So,now you have the full story.Many thanks again to you all!!!