New Lounger
    Thanks
    Running Windows 7 on a HP Pavillion Media Center. Was burning movies using Windows DVD maker, no problem. Then all of a sudden it doesn't want to allow them to come out in 16:9 format. I have tried checking the selection box in Win DVD Maker to set it at 16:9 but everything still comes out in 4:3. I burned the same movies using Ashampoo 9 and they come out in the right 16:9. However, and am not sure if this is related, Ashampoo 9 takes anywhere from 2 1/2 to 6 hours while DVD maker took 45-50 minutes. While burning using Ashampoo I watched in Task Manager and the CPU usage showed 69-75 %.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you in advance,
    Roland

Thanks
    rollie, This is what I use, and its free. Don't use installable version as its the exact same as the portable.
    http://portableapps.com/apps/music_v...tyler_portable
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I would want to know the format and dimensions of the file you are having problems with, or is it having a problem with a 16:9 MPEG-2 DVD input format?
    The 2.5 to 6 hour time sounds like the file is being transcoded into a DVD-compatible format whereas 45-50 minutes is somewhere inbetween; too long for just a straight burn but not long enough for a complete transcoding and burn.

DVD Styler is good but I've had some problems with format and dimension acceptance so I usually go with DVDFlick, but you won't get much choice for menus and chapters with that program (unless its been further updated recently).

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Byron Tarbox View Post
    I would want to know the format and dimensions of the file you are having problems with, or is it having a problem with a 16:9 MPEG-2 DVD input format?
    The 2.5 to 6 hour time sounds like the file is being transcoded into a DVD-compatible format whereas 45-50 minutes is somewhere inbetween; too long for just a straight burn but not long enough for a complete transcoding and burn.

DVD Styler is good but I've had some problems with format and dimension acceptance so I usually go with DVDFlick, but you won't get much choice for menus and chapters with that program (unless its been further updated recently).
    As an example: burned the movie Death At A Funeral. Format was .avi, about 1 1/2 hours long, 483 MB. Plays on Windows Media Player in 16:9 aspect. Burned to DVD using Windows DVD Maker about 3 months ago. Took about 45 minutes. Plays on regular DVD player in 16:9 aspect, everything fine. Now when I burn it on Windows DVD Maker, it burns to disk as 4:3 aspect even though I checked the box to burn 16:9. If I burn using Ashampoo 9, it burns and comes out in 16:9 aspect but takes forever, 2 1/2-6 hours, to burn. I thought of purchasing Nero 10 but am on SSI and dont want to spend $80 on something that might not work if something else is wrong. I was happy using Windows DVD Maker but it will no longer give me 16:9 aspect in the final product anymore. Also, I should mention, I put in a new DVD/CD drive and reformatted and then reinstalled Windows 7. Still the same problem with Windows DVD Maker.

Thanks
    Byron, what OS are you using ?. I use DVDStyler to create an ISO and burn using W7 Disc Burner. It does exactly as I want.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Might be a codec is missing or something that was installed and was later removed that took some codecs with it. I'm not familiar enough with the native DVD Maker to know what the requirements are. I'm sure its not as robust as Styler or DVDFlick though, which accept a wide range of formats, as does AShampoo probably.

An avi file has to be completely transcoded into MPEG-2 format so that will take time. 50 minutes is not enough time to do that for a 1.5 hr. video unless you have a monster machine. 2-3 hours is about right for an average system, 6 is getting a little long but I have some 1920x1080 avi and if I apply any corrective filter, like sharpening or lighting, it can easily take longer than that even because every pixel of every frame has to be examined and changed and that's usually tens of thousands to a few hundred thousand frames per movie.

You might try converting the movie prior to feeding it to DVD Maker....say with FormatFactory to MPEG-2 6000 or 8000 bitrate and see if that works or if DVD Maker is more broken even than that.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Byron Tarbox View Post
    Might be a codec is missing or something that was installed and was later removed that took some codecs with it. I'm not familiar enough with the native DVD Maker to know what the requirements are. I'm sure its not as robust as Styler or DVDFlick though, which accept a wide range of formats, as does AShampoo probably.

An avi file has to be completely transcoded into MPEG-2 format so that will take time. 50 minutes is not enough time to do that for a 1.5 hr. video unless you have a monster machine. 2-3 hours is about right for an average system, 6 is getting a little long but I have some 1920x1080 avi and if I apply any corrective filter, like sharpening or lighting, it can easily take longer than that even because every pixel of every frame has to be examined and changed and that's usually tens of thousands to a few hundred thousand frames per movie.

You might try converting the movie prior to feeding it to DVD Maker....say with FormatFactory to MPEG-2 6000 or 8000 bitrate and see if that works or if DVD Maker is more broken even than that.
    I had thought about the possibility that something else might have been removed that had affected the program. That was why I had the Windows 7 reinstalled after reformatting the hard drive. One would figure upon doing that then the original DVD Maker that I was using would now be back on the computer.
    As to burning the .avi files, as well as .divx files, I never had a problem burning either with The DVD Maker until recently and they only took the 45-50 minutes as I stated and played on the computer DVD player as well as the 2 other DVD players I have hooked up to the TV sets in other rooms. Just really strange why the only problem is that even after selecting 16:9 aspect it will only come out 4:3 aspect. They will still only take the 45-50 minutes to burn.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, I tried a 1.5 hour divx-avi file in DVD Maker; it was accepted, allowed me to change to 16:9 aspect ratio, it took 2 hours and 25 minutes to transcode and burn.

All seemed to go well and upon playback, it was 16:9 aspect ratio, BUT, two black bars on left and right edge with the video itself at 4:3 aspect ratio between the black bars.

So failure on my attempt as well.