Star Lounger
    Thanks
    No big threats at the time; however, I need a question answered. When is it time to defragment a drive? I have used Pinform's Defraggler only to discover in a few hours, there are over 600 fragmented files, and nearly 2% fragmented. Just wanted to know when to get concerned.

Charles H. Parker

Thanks
    Some would argue that defragmenting a hard drive has little or no measurable effect on data throughput. (Remember that Vista has its own built-in defragmenter, too.)

Others say that if you do it every month or so, it might have some effect.

However, the only studies into efficaciousness seem to come from the makers of paid-for defragmenters, and it is difficult to consider that their research is entirely objective.

About all you can say for definite is that defragmenting a USB Flash Drive is both a waste of time and uses up some of the total writes which it can do before failing.
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Thanks
    Hi Charles,

Since you use Defraggler, have you disabled the default scheduled run of Disk Defragmenter in Vista? It is scheduled by default to run every Wednesday at 1:00 AM, and if your machine is off at that time, it will proceed to defrag your drive at startup whenever an idle moment is seen. If Disk Defragmenter is defragging and you are running Defraggler also, their different approaches might contribute to faster fragmenting of your files. In any case, I would stick to just one defragging program. Just a thought.

As far as defragging frequency, I generally defrag no more than once per month, and sometimes go as long as two to three months between defrags. It all depends on what you do on your computer. If you constantly install and uninstall software to evaluate or experiment, then you might want to schedule more frequent defragging. If you are the type of user that pretty much installs the software you need and only install new software once in a while, then less frequent defragging should be sufficient. You will get differing opinions about the frequency. Here is a thread you might be interested in checking out in the General Windows Forum. It will at least present various points of view about tweaking Windows for performance. Check out this thread on SevenForums for some more thoughts on defragging. This thread is also appropriate for Vista users as well.

A good practice is to clean out your computer of temp files, temp internet files, old logs, and so forth before doing a defrag operation, using a program such as Piriform's CCleaner. If you want to let your browser's manage your cookies, then you an uncheck the boxes to clean out cookies. I would leave most everything else at the default settings.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mike1111 View Post
    No big threats at the time; however, I need a question answered. When is it time to defragment a drive? I have used Pinform's Defraggler only to discover in a few hours, there are over 600 fragmented files, and nearly 2% fragmented. Just wanted to know when to get concerned.

Charles H. Parker
    Charles,
    Hello... I use Raxco PD-11 http://www.raxco.com/home this has many more "tools" ( then the freebies and the one that comes with Vista \ "7" ) that allow you to customize the type of "Defrag " you wish. Although the screen shot shows most, i had to "squeeze" it so its hard to see all . Program shows you what and where the "fragmented" bits are..... Much better choice IMNSHTO ( In my not so humble twisted opinion )
    Regards Fred
    Attached Images Attached Images
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Guys for all your help. Thank you for helping a poor old Senior Citizen like myself. Fortunately i do know a little about computers, but no much.

Thanks again.

Charles (Mike) Parker