New Lounger
    Thanks
    How many times have I heard that Microsoft will allow reinstallation of my legal XP Pro SP3 os after a major hardware change?
    Many!
    How many times have I ever seen/heard the number to call, what to information is required by them, i.e. the specifics leaving nothing out about how to actually do this?
    Never!
    Thanks for any help on this. I know you are busy.
    Sincerely
    Cal

Thanks
    SO,what is the real question? In reality what is the your question @ this point?
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

Thanks
    Hi Cal,

Check out this Microsoft Knowledge Base article on how to activate Windows XP via telephone. As you follow the steps outlined, you should be given a toll free number to call. It will be an automated call, so have your WinXP product key handy, a pen and paper to record some numbers.

If you want to try a shortcut to the process, you might try these two toll free numbers. They were at one time valid for activation, but I do not know if they are at present.

In the U.S. 1-888-571-2048 1-866-740-1256
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Thanks
    If you do manage to talk to someone over the phone at MS, just tell them that you have replaced your motherboard and that the
    old one is no longer functional, which should be the truth. There should not be an issue with activation.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    I have actually had to call MS for reactivation on 2 separate occassions and they were very accomadating. They understand that people have to change hardware when things go bad. They are not the evil monsters portrayed by some. The call lasted maybe 10 minutes. Just be ready for a very long number to input to reactivate.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have had to call MS for reactivation twice. In both cases I was reinstalling XP on the exact same hardware. When activation fails via the internet, Windows display a dialog that guides you through the phone-in activation process. The MS people on the phone were always polite and courteous and did not give me any hassle.

I suspect that some database somewhere keeps an activation count. That retail, non-upgrade, copy of XP Pro was originally installed on a Dell laptop. When the laptop died, I moved the license to a self-built desktop. Due to various circumstances I reinstalled on the desktop several times and I was very surprised the first time activation didn't go through, and the install after that also would not auto-activate. Perhaps my license key has now been flagged (last time I called, the MS guy on the phone didn't ask me to read off the long number that a particular utility provides - instead he read it to me, presumably from my prior call). But since it is a retail license, as long as I have only one copy installed I should be able to move it from PC to PC as often as I like.