Thanks
    I have a new Cooler Master Case and I am a little confused with how the fans should be set up.
    The case came with one 120mm fan mounted in the front as an intake.
    There are five other fan positions that I need some advice on which way the 120 mm fans should be mounted, (intake or exhaust).
    On the top of the case are two positions for two 120mm fans.
    On the back is one position for a 120 mm fan.
    This to me is usually the exhaust fan on most cases.
    On the bottom is a position for another 120 mm fan.
    And on the side panel is a position for another 120 mm fan.
    Can some one advise me as to what would be the best way to install any fans in this case. (intake or exhaust)
    I have enough 120mm fans for each position and each fan has a dust filter that came with it.
    I have always believed that the cooler the air circulating through the case, the better the PC will work.
    Please reply.
    Catz

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    One can easily put in too many fans that work at cross-purpose to one another, so rarely would all fans be used at all positions available and can actualy add heat and more noise.

It depends on the size and configuration of the components in the case. Usually, with clean cabling to keep air flow direct and room enough in the case so that adding say a video card doesn't "compartmentize" a section of the case which may then overheat, one front fan blowing front to back and the PS fan blowing out is more than adequate. If the PS is on the bottom as some are now then an additional exhaust fan may be needed at the top rear. If you have a perticularly hot processor or chipset then one more side fan may be needed to bring cooler air more directly onto the processor heat sink.

So it really depends, but in general always think air flow, usually from front bottom to rear top, clean open arrangement inside, and try to avoid setting up air flows that are cross-current to one another unless absolutly needed because those can isolate the case into hot and cool compartments.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Catz View Post
    I have a new Cooler Master Case and I am a little confused with how the fans should be set up.
    Catz,
    Hello... On my PC, (and think that this is a good idea) My power supply which is larger than needed (750W ) has it's own fan in the exhaust position, and i run 4 HD's (sometimes 5 ) , a video graphics card with its own fan, the CPU with it's own fan, and the last one, on the rear somewhat lower and under the PS in exhaust mode as well. There are 4 vent screens all drawing air into the unit ( check the air flow with a strip of paper ) So far.... no over heating problems You can use CPUID hardware monitor to keep track of the temps http://www.cpuid.com/ Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    How about giving us some idea what your hardware specs are.
    What exact model of Cooler Master case do you have?
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    The case I have is a Cooler Master Elite 430 Black.
    The Cooler Master site shows a layout on fan set up, but I would like some other opinions on air flow for this case.

Catz

Thanks
    Newegg: COOLER MASTER Elite 430 RC-430-KWN1 Black Steel / Plastic Computer Case

Based on the above specs

The concern I have for this case would be which way to mount the PSU. Do I isolate it from the rest of the system by facing the intake downward,
    or use it to vent the GPU area. (intake fan facing upward) You will need to test this yourself, as I would. Mounting the PSU to evacuate heat from the GPU area
    may conflict with your overall airflow.

The second bottom fan mount I would hold off and test your system without using one. if you don't need it, quieter is better.

Typically you'll want airflow in one direction, from front to rear. Strong exhaust fans in the rear move the heat out. a single fan in the front brings in
    fresh cool air...if it's not too obstructed with multiple hard drives and cables, then you may choose to utilize that second bottom fan mount as intake.
    The airflow in this case looks to be from the bottom front to rear top with the rear top being (should be at least) your more powerful fans.
    Getting hot air out should be more important than getting cool air in. The vacuum created by powerful outtake fans should, in many situations, be enough
    with a lighter duty intake fan to aid in evacuate heat out of the system. With powerfull, high heat producing hardware you may require both.

The rear fan is fine. The top area I would also hold off and test the system prior to installing any fans. If you don't need it, quieter is better.
    If you do decide to use those top mounted fans, they should be for exhaust only, not intake. Your choice of hardware will determine the need.

CPU cooling: That will depend on your choice of hardware and how you plan to use it. A potent CPU and GPU will require more aggressive
    heat removal, as will a more powerful enthusiast type motherboard used for gaming or overclocking.
    Cabling inside your system will also be a big factor. The cleaner you can make it the better, so plan it carefully.

Temperature monitoring tools that don't require an install:
    HWMonitor
    RealTemp_360 (Intel chipsets)
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.