Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I use 'create a system image' in backup/restore to backup my system. The properties of the resulting WindowsImageBackup shows 0 files, folders, etc but when I delete an old one many gigs are freed on the disk. How can I restore from this backup?

Also, should I use the create a system cd every time I back up, or the one I created in the beginning sufficient.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It's normal that the file shows 0 bits. You restore by opening Backup and Restore and following the prompts. Try it now to see how it works. You don't have to actually do the restore. Just cancel out before starting the actual restore. One or two startup disks is enough. It's good to have 2 in case one is lost or damaged. It's similar to the old boot disk. Look up Backup and Restore in Help for lots of info. Windows 7 Help is actually very good.

Edit: Make sure that you are saving the system image to an external drive, not on the internal drive. Computer hard drives can have several partitions with diff drive letters that should not be used for backups or image files.

Thanks
    Where did you store your Image? The Image cannot actually be stored on the same partition as the OS you are Imaging. Did you save your Image to a separate partition or Ext HD or removable media? If so, when I check my Images I do see a file size (mine are in the 20 to 22 GB range which is approx half what the original size is. I do not know why you would not see a file size. Perhaps you are speaking of a back up folder and have to open the folder to see the actual file.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I backup to a USB drive which is turned on only during backups. I do rename the file with a date, and always have at least 2.

I never set up a 'Windows Backup'. I create a system image, hope that's ok. I don't see a way to get into a restore from that. The help file says I have to recreate the whole system from this.

I'll create another system restore cd the next time, thanks.

Thanks
    There are many discussions on Imaging in the Security and Backups forum. I would not be caught without an Up To Date Image. I reimage frequently. It is not very time consuming and has saved my bacon often as I am constantly trying new things and subsequently screwed things up. In fact perhaps I will go right now and create a new Image. Thanks for reminding me it's that time again.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I too am a backup nut, so I have a batch file I run between full backups which copies any file with the archive bit on:

xcopy c:\PersData\*.* c:\ProdBU\PersData\ /s/m/y/h
    if .%1 == . goto noparm
    xcopy c:\prodbu\*.* %1:ProdBU\ /s/m/y/h
    :noparm

This will copy any file I changed to a backup file, and the parm is a usb drive I turn on for this. This will save my changed data between backups. BTW, ALL my DATA is in ONE Folder. I could add backups for the 'documents and settings' folder items I would like to save.