Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm writing some instructions related to downloading and installing an application. The installer needs to be run in Administrator mode in 64-bit operating systems. I know that Windows 7 typically installs as 64-bit. Does Vista? For the instructions, I just want to make a general statement, as opposed to specifying each version of Vista, like "If you're running the 64-bit version of Windows 7 or Vista, which is typically how they install, then you'll have to..." Is that a generally accurate statement?

Thanks
    It would depend as Win 7 depends. if your hardware is 64 Bit compatible, then you can choose to install either the 32 Bit or 64 Bit version. The first step is to consider what the hardware is capable of. Go to Control Panel, System, or Device Manager to figure out if the hardware is 64 Bit capable:

[attachment=90712:System.png][attachment=90713evice Manager.png]

Even with a 64 Bit capable system, many people choose to install 32 Bit versions of their OS. So it depends!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by slrosen View Post
    I'm writing some instructions related to downloading and installing an application. The installer needs to be run in Administrator mode in 64-bit operating systems. I know that Windows 7 typically installs as 64-bit. Does Vista? For the instructions, I just want to make a general statement, as opposed to specifying each version of Vista, like "If you're running the 64-bit version of Windows 7 or Vista, which is typically how they install, then you'll have to..." Is that a generally accurate statement?
    The installation of Vista or Windows 7 does not default to either the 32 or 64 bit editions. Whichever bit version you place in your optical drive will be installed. If a user has both 32 bit and 64 bit editions of Vista or Windows 7, then it is up to the user to decide whether to install the 32 or the 64 bit edition. Windows 7 (except for OEM) comes with both 32 and 64 bit editions on separate DVDs, so the choice is yours. I do not remember if Vista was packaged with both the 32 and 64 bit DVDs (it is possible you may have to decide at the point of purchase which one to buy.)

If your computer has an Intel processor that is at least a model 630 Pentium 4, then it supports 64 bit versions of Windows, with the exception of some Atom processors that are 32 bit processors. AMD processors support 64 bit Windows since the introduction of the Athlon 64 a few years ago.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by slrosen View Post
    For the instructions, I just want to make a general statement, as opposed to specifying each version of Vista, like "If you're running the 64-bit version of Windows 7 or Vista, which is typically how they install, then you'll have to..." Is that a generally accurate statement?
    I would put something more like "Depending on your harware configuration you may either choose to install the 32 Bit version or the 64 Bit version. If your hardware (CPU) supports 64 Bit, then the version you install is personal choice."

I do not know how involved this manual is, but you might give some examples of the pros and cons of 32 Bit versus 64 Bit OS. Here are some answers directly from Microsoft on this issue.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy