Dadebstr

Can't Send Mail (Win98-2nd/OL2K)

I have a user who suddenly after a year cannot send mail from either OL or OLE. I have searched posting here back thru April and scoured the Knowledge Base trying anything that even looked close. I can ping the mail server; I can send/receive AOL AIM's; I can see and be seen on the network (WINNT4.0). I have deleted and re-established the email account on both the laptop and the server; I established a new .pst folder. Norton's AV 2001 shows clear of bugs. She claims and I believe that there have been no new download/software installations or major settings changes. She keeps email forever. . . .pst file is 129,840K, though KB claims max is 2G. Thought I would ask here before I gave up and tried uninstalling and reinstalling the office suite. Just hoping I missed something simple. . .in looking for something difficult. . .

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Can't Send Mail (Win98-2nd/OL2K)

Does she use Netscape Communicator? If yes, there, go to Edit / Settings, then select Mail and see whether the "Use Netscape Messenger for MAPI based applications" is checked. Uncheck it.

Doris

Dadebstr

Thanks for the response Doris. . .Browser is IE 5.5 . . .

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

If the mail is sitting in the out box this may be due to the fact that there is a limit to the number of items that can be stored in the sent items folder. When this is reached outbound mail will sit in the outbox.

Have the user go in and delete stuff from the sent items folder. If they "really, really" can't delete anything (I hate when they say that) then make a sub folder and MOVE the mail there.

btw - don't believe the 2GB size limit to pst files. Our experience is that they get slow and sometimes unstable after about 500MB. It was becoming a support headache. Having users delete or archive off mail when they hit 500MB or so because cured a lot of problems.

Dadebstr

I was thinking the same thing Old Dog. . this morning copied all her email to the server and then uninstalled OL and OLE and deleted everything related to them. On reinstalling OE I found the problem remains that I can get mail but not send it; with an empty everything folder. I tried running the IE 5.5 repair from the system tools area and it could not run . . .I am currently downloading IE 6.0, hoping to overwrite some possibly corrupted files that might be causing the problem. Still looking for suggestions, though!
    Thanks!