Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Acronis dead ?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Fred, hello.

I am resting a little after raking so many leaves.

My HD looks like yours now that I got rid of the front ( left ) partiton that was useless to me.

But I have come up with a new problem. My USB HD is not seen by Acronis anymore. It is seen in My Computor, in Disk Management, it has a dedicated letter but alas ! Acronis keeps saying that it can not proceed as I only have one HD and I need two, ( I knew this ! ). I tried a few versions of Acronis, v 9, v11 and the 2010 one too, all tell me that there is no USB HD connected, it shows it on the proper page but greyed out.

The USB HD shows all over but in Acronis, I had it in Gparted and all Win-7 screens that it should show up on. This is a paid version of Acronis.

Any clew ? Thanks. Jean.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean Parrot View Post
    I have come up with a new problem. My USB HD is not seen by Acronis anymore. It is seen in My Computor, in Disk Management, it has a dedicated letter but alas ! Acronis keeps saying that it can not proceed as I only have one HD and I need two, ( I knew this ! ). I tried a few versions of Acronis, v 9, v11 and the 2010 one too, all tell me that there is no USB HD connected, it shows it on the proper page but greyed out.

The USB HD shows all over but in Acronis, I had it in Gparted and all Win-7 screens that it should show up on. This is a paid version of Acronis.

Any clew ? Thanks. Jean.
    Jean,
    Hello.... I hate to be the one to bring bad news.... have a look see here (based on the problem that you have had with "MBR") http://forum.acronis.com/forum/7896 Seems that Acronis has it's share of problems with external HD's . I will think on this one and post back if i have any ideas. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    No joy, Fred.

(Q) Hello.... I hate to be the one to bring bad news.... have a look see here (based on the problem that you have had with "MBR") http://forum.acronis.com/forum/7896 Seems that Acronis has it's share of problems with external HD's .(uQ)

That speel about the MBR is not relevant, I have tried three HDs, all of them already had a clone on them, it must have been proper if they then accepted a clone. I am now trying one on my P4 running W-7 and the clone is going through.

Mystery : puzzling event or situation: an event or situation that is difficult to fully understand or explain. From my dictionary !

I do think that it is a Windows problem.

Be good. Jean.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    But I have come up with a new problem. My USB HD is not seen by Acronis anymore. It is seen in My Computor, in Disk Management, it has a dedicated letter but alas ! Acronis keeps saying that it can not proceed as I only have one HD and I need two, ( I knew this ! ). I tried a few versions of Acronis, v 9, v11 and the 2010 one too, all tell me that there is no USB HD connected, it shows it on the proper page but greyed out.
    I'm confused by it shows as greyed out or USB HD is not seen. There is an important distinction to be made. If its there but greyed out then there is some property currently of that drive that Acronis has checked and found it cannnot proceed with--that happens, you just have to figure out what that incompatible property is.

If its not seen by Acronis and is perfectly fine otherwise to the OS then you need to check some of the hardware properties such as length of USB cable, quality of cable, solid connection, optimization mode, USB power level if its a USB powered drive, etc.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have tried three HDs, all of them already had a clone on them, it must have been proper if they then accepted a clone. I am now trying one on my P4 running W-7 and the clone is going through.
    Clone or did you mean image? And if it is indeed clone was there another clone that included the system partition on the drive already? Something like that may cause Acronis to grey out the drive since it may not be prudent to clone over a system partition and Acronis may be smart enough to look for that and stop it to prevent accidental reverse cloning where the blank drive is cloned over the system drive.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    That speel about the MBR is not relevant, I have tried three HDs, all of them already had a clone on them, it must have been proper if they then accepted a clone.

I do think that it is a Windows problem.
    Jean,
    Hello.... and i am confused by you statement "already had a clone on them" ...a clone is an exact copy of a hard drive placed on to the "target hard drive" It doesn't matter if the clone is working ( bootable ) or not Acronis will copy it.. I have cloned Data Drives with no MBR. Acronis doesn't "see" your external HD ....That's the problem ...not Windows.. as you stated "windows sees" your external HD....Since you have moved your MBR around i think the article in the link could explain the problem. The only solution that i can offer is try to re-format and let Acronis "discover" the external HD. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Food for thought.

I was able to clone one USB HD to another USB HD. It is the C:\ in the machine that is not seen ! That is some weird, I have no explanation for this at all. I will sleep on it.

Thanks
    If Acronis was installed correctly, you should use the .msi file to run a 'repair' with all hdd's you use for backups powered 'on'.

[attachment=90724:W.jpg]
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Good morning, Road R.

I do not have this .msi file anywhere on the machine. As far as having installed it properly, is there a way to install it improperly ? After all, I slipped in the CD and chose Standard.

When I try to run TI clone, I get this :
    It does not see the machine at all. This is with no USB HD connected, when I connect two of them, I see them both and I was able to clone one USB to the other USB.

For others, the greyed out C:\ takes place after I select the Source, it shows it at the bottom but when I hit the Next button, all goes to greyed out, I can not select a Destination.

I had a look at the machine itself, I disconnected the 10/100, I shut down MSE, all this not no avail. The solution as suggested by Dmitri from Acronis, entails a flush of the HD, not desired yet as I do not have a clone done.

Are we not having fun yet ? Jean.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Ted, hello. You wrote :

Acronis doesn't "see" your external HD ....That's the problem ...not Windows.. as you stated "windows sees" your external HD....Since you have moved your MBR around i think the article in the link could explain the problem. The only solution that i can offer is try to re-format and let Acronis "discover" the external HD.

I got off on the wrong foot here, thinking that the USB HD would be the weak link, not so. TI clone here can see any USB HD. I have to think C:\ or Win-7 here. I tried doing the unprotected way as per my post to RR, no joy. What can make TI not be able to use the machine itself ? TI v.11 does not even go as far as v.9.
    V.11 goes to the above uploaded.jpg that says there is no HD at all.
    TI v.9 goes further, it goes to the option screen but after selecting the C:\ HD, it dies, TI that is, freezes the machine.

Can you tell me how to get this .msi file that RR mentioned ? Two heads are better than none.

Have a nice week off. Jean.

Thanks
    Jean, go through the motions of installing Acronis, right click install, select extract and save to your C: drive. When done, you can uninstall, modify or repair. If repair is selected but fails, uninstall it, then get a fresh copy of your version from Acronis. Plus new .msi file.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hmmm, never had that happen and not have the disk going bad. I think I would format the drive and restore the latest image or replace with the latest clone you made.

Something is messed up or missing for Acronis not to recognize it and yet its running on a partition of the disk it can't find right? Now that's a paradox!

If you're running Acronis from a boot disc, check the BIOS and make sure the drive is identified and being properly recognized there.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Fred, hello. You wrote :

Acronis doesn't "see" your external HD ....That's the problem ...not Windows.. as you stated "windows sees" your external HD....Since you have moved your MBR around i think the article in the link could explain the problem. The only solution that i can offer is try to re-format and let Acronis "discover" the external HD.
    Jean,
    Hello... I'm sticking with that statement... and adding that since you have been installing and un-installing many versions of Acronis Who knows how badly TI is "messed up " I would recommend that you totally remove all things Acronis, using "Everything" to find all the hiding places, run whatever "un-installer" you choose, then do a check yourself , Program Data ,Program files, AppData, local , Low, Roaming,Registry, etc. remove all then re-install. ( i would stick with 2010 v7046) Regards Fred

PS: Are we starting to see the value of an Image vs clone yet ?
    PlainFred

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello Ted.

(Q) Hello... I'm sticking with that statement... and adding that since you have been installing and un-installing many versions of Acronis Who knows how badly TI is "messed up " I would recommend that you totally remove all things Acronis, using "Everything" to find all the hiding places, run whatever "un-installer" you choose, then do a check yourself , Program Data ,Program files, AppData, local , Low, Roaming,Registry, etc. remove all then re-install. ( i would stick with 2010 v7046) Regards Fred

PS: Are we starting to see the value of an Image vs clone yet ? (uQ)

I have indeed installed and tried many versions of TI but each time, I got into Regedit and deleted all lines that pertained to "Acronis", quite tedious this is.

It is the machine HD that is not connected using any version of TI, not the USB one, I wrote above that I was able to clone one USB HD to another USB HD, these were properly seen by TI. I still am looking into this machine to see if I can finger the stump.

I again profess that a clone is the answer, I just cloned my other machine, a P-4, and it carried out to completion, no problem at all. So, it is not me, it is not TI, it is this one peculiar machine. Nevertheless, I appreciate your moral support. I am expecting any day, some extra RAM, to 4 MBs, I will then redo this machine to 64-bitness, maybe this will solve the problem. The MBR argument leaves me wondering...the machine runs fine even after the move, why TI is not happy with it, I ignore, if this be the case of which I doubt.

Have a nice day off. Jean.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Jean - If understand the situation, you have two USB drives that have a clone of your C drive. Are you able to boot the machine from the USB drives? If yes, can you see the C drive while running from the USB drive? Does Acronis work properly while you are running from the USB drive?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast