Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    I have to admit that when I started getting into this cloud computing, I was skeptical (still am) and not sure how it was all going to work, because I had problem after problem. Now that I am getting more into it I find that I really like it.
    If I have learned anything at all, it is to Slow Down and look at what you are doing. One little slip could (like accidentally sharing a private folder) bring unwanted results.
    LiveMesh I have found is fantastic, and fast; although there are some things missing like seeing what files are where in the sync process. The other items that I think are missing or should be there, like file location in a folder, aren't there, but if you have the files named you can still find them easily. The 5GB storage is somewhat small, but maybe they will increase that as time goes on. the 25GB in SkyDrive is (IMHO) more than enough.
    Now to get my Windows phone and put it all together.

Ok that was my $.02/ worth.
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Thanks
    I've been looking into LIve Mesh and my problem is the difficulty finding information about how it will work.

For instance, am I able to go online with a browser and make changes to files that are stored there? I've been unable to do that.
    And if two machines are syncing the same folder, and the file is changed on both machines, will it prompt you before it does the sync for which version to use?

I've posted questions to the appropriate MS forum and the responses from MS's support people were a joke.

Thanks
    "Am I able to go online and make changes"

the answer is yes, HOWEVER! to save those changes you must use "SAVE AS", otherwise the resident computer file will override the LiveMesh file, and the changes you made on the LiveMesh file will be gone. Now with that said if you don't want to have a version2 so to speak, you can again using SAVE AS select the original file from your computer and it will save the changes to the original.

And if two machines are syncing the same folder, and the file is changed on both machines, will it prompt you before it does the sync for which version to u
    se?

I don't have an answer for that one because I am only synching from my MAXTOR external HD.

I've posted questions to the appropriate MS forum and the responses from MS's support people were a
    joke.

Would you mind posting the link here so I can look at it on the forum? I have usually had pretty good answers.
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Thanks
    When I go online and open a file in synced folder, it seems like I can only open it using Word installed on my computer. It does not offer the option to open in a browser (like it does with Office Live files and Hotmail attachements) . As such, I am unable to do a Save As to the online folder, can only Save As to my computer.
    All this is fine if I am working on my own computer, but the idea of cloud computing is that you can work on your files from any computer. I am not able to make that happen.

Thanks
    Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you.
    If you want to work on a file from a different computer, then you should locate the file in SktDrive. That way anyone with a link to that file can work on it from any computer, and save the work.
    Thanks John

Thanks
    I've already searched in Skydrive as best I could. Those folder/files are not shown there.

Are you saying you are able to see your Mesh files in Skydrive? How are you accessing Skydrive? I do it by hovering over the Windows Live icon in upper left of my hotmail inbox page.

Thanks
    First you will need to either create a folder for those files, or use an existing one. Make sure that you set your permissions. Ok, now open that folder, and click on "Add Files" and follow the prompts to upload your files. Now your files on on SkyDrive. With your file in SKYDRIVE you can work on them from any computer, and save them in SkyDrive. Now when your back at your own computer, open the file and choose save as and save it to your HD. LiveMesh if on will automatically see the new file and update / override the existing file. Because I myself am still getting used to this I do a Save As here instead of just a Save.
    Yes you can see your sync'd folders in skydrive they are under View synced folders. See Pic
    Thanks John

Thanks
    Wow, I completely missed seeing that link up there. Thanks.

But still, when I open a doc in a synced folder, I can find no way to do a Save As that will store it in the online folder. Can only do a Save As to my own computer.

Thanks
    Unforunetly that is correct. If you are uploading large file or need to upload an entire folder, you might want to look at this handy little tool

SDExplorer
    Thanks John

Thanks
    Being able to work with my files that are online is not a priority, I'm just trying to understand how Mesh works and what it is capable of.

My main need is for backup of my documents, and my concern is that if for some reason (perhaps an issue with their server) my online files should disappear, I want to know that it will not go ahead and delete the files on my computer, since that is the way that a true sync operation works, unless it is configured for a one way only sync. And I have been unable to find anywhere in Live Mesh where there are settings to choose a full sync versus a one way sync.

Thanks
    And there is no documentation online about this either.

Thanks
    I have not found a way to delete a file from LiveMesh, but I do know that if I delete a file from my computer that is synced in Live Mesh, that file is also deleted from Live MEsh
    Thanks John

Thanks
    Thanks John

Thanks
    There are also some odd things that I see going on with Live Mesh. I had been syncing my documents folder up until last week, when I turned off the syncing.

A few minutes ago I turned the syncing back on. Before the sync there were 4415 files in that folder on my computer. After the sync, there are now 4439 files in that folder, and the size of the folder went up 12 MB. I can only assume that it seems these files came from the online sync folder, but I can see no reason why that would happen.

Thanks
    I've determined what the extra files are.

It is creating a duplicate copy of a number of files in the synced folder. It changes the name of the file slightly. Where the original file is named "filename.doc", the additional file that Mesh creates is called "filename (VincenzoLaptop).doc. (VincenzoLaptop is what it Mesh calls this computer on the Live Mesh screens.)
    When I examine the content of these duplicate files that it creates, I see that they are older versions of the file, looks like they are the version that was stored last time I did the sync.

Another anomaly is that it is changing the "Created" date of some subfolders within the synced folder. The "Created" date is now the date of the last sync.

I'd say Live Mesh is not quite ready for prime time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast