2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have an old HP computer with a + 2600 AMD Athlon processor in it along with 512 of RAM and a hard drive (120 GIG) that needs to be replaced. . I have replaced the Hard Drive, but do not have the HP Disk so I am using a spare Window XP disk I have.......I have formated the Hard Drive and the setup files have been intalled OK on the HD......However, when the intallation reboots for the first time, the computer screen becomes black and nothing else happens to continue the installation......I also tried Win 2000 and it does the same with it too...Does anyone have any idea what is happening and if there might be a work around....thanks, John

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    If you can connect both disks at once you can clone to the new one using the cloning software from the disk manufacturer's web site.

Maybe the new hard disk is too big for the BIOS in your computer? Try partitioning just 120GB and installing to that.

cheers, Paul

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Paul,many thanks,,,,,,the Hard Drive replacement is the exact same size as the orginal......in addition the old HD can not be accessed at all......I beleve there is major corruption on that disk....therefore my only option is to try to reinstall windows XP with my OEM copy, but again when it reboots after writing the system files etc to the HD, then when it reboots I just get that black screen and not progress at all from there....it is like it freezes.....John

Thanks
    If your not using the original XP disk that came with the computer, what are you using?
    Is your new hard drive also the exact same type?
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    the replacement HD has the same capacity as the orginal one which now has gone bad.......the Win software is an OEM version that has not ever been used...just laying around for years in the drawer...

Thanks
    Run the hard drive manufacturer's diagnostic tools on the new drive to ensure it is not bad.
    Do this from a boot disk. You can also run a check disk with the "R" switch enabled. Do this from a boot disk as well.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    It is possible that the disk controller or cable is the problem, but you need to make sure you have the correct driver for the controller before attempting to install Windows. Assuming the Windows OEM CD is the correct one for your computer, I would be looking at the controller/cable. To test this, connect your old hard disk to another computer as a second drive and see if you can view the contents - make sure you don't write to the disk, you may want to recover data from it.

cheers, Paul