New Lounger
    Thanks
    Until two days ago I was running IE8 in Win7 Home Premium on a DSL line.Since then IE will open and all buttons and dialogs work normally, but it will not go anywhere.
    IE insists on just sitting in one spot and complaining it "Cannot Display the Webpage", no matter what site I ask it to go to. I also have Firefox and Chrome and they both browse normally, so it can't be the connection..
    There is a long list of things I have tried: Reset IE's defaults,checked if proxy had been turned on, unchecked auto detect, ran IE in no add-ons mode, disabled all add-ons, deleted all cookies and history, ran Ms Fixit, did System Restore. None of these had any effect.
    Now to an issue that is perhaps VERY pertinent. I ran a full scan with Kaspersky then a full scan of C: with MalwareBytes. Both found badware. Kaspersky found three trojans and MalwareBytes found two hijackers. They both supposedly killed the bad guys, but that didn't get IE off it's butt.
    I thought of uninstalling IE, but I'm betting I then could not go to Microsoft with Firefox or Chrome and get a new IE. I might even try the IE9 beta if I could get it. A few times I have gone to Ms while using Firefox and they wouldn't let me download anything unless I arrive in Internet Explorer. They don't want any foreign vehicles hauling away their stuff.
    Don't bother suggesting a clean install of Windows. I just finished that about two weeks ago and certainly would not do it again as long as other browsers work.
    Perhaps I will just have to let IE set in the yard and rust, like an old wagon?

Thanks
    Don't even bother trying IE9 untill you get EI8 fixed first.

Attempt to remove IE8 from the control panel's Windows Features by removing the checkbox.
    Boot the computer and then run "sfc /scannow" from an elevated command prompt.
    Renenable IE8 from the control panel's Windows Features by entering a check in the box. You may need to run scannow again.
    Make sure you also have a non corrupt windows explorer, as IE and Windows Explorer are closely related.

To See and Read the SFC /SCANNOW Scan Results:
    NOTE: When SFC runs, it logs it's actions to the C:\WINDOWS\LOGS\CBS\CBS.LOG.
    This will show you how to see only the specific SFC entries with the [SR] tags in the CBS.log. This can be helpful to show you what files SFC could not fix automatically if you wanted to try and manually replace them.

Use system images for backup purposes, and keep a number of known good iterations.
    System restore as you have found out, is highly unreliable and a waste of valuable system resources. IMO
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    I would second what Clint states. Often turning IE off through Programs and Features, Turn Windows freatures on or off, will reload corrupted files. I would also perhaps use an online scanner or 2 to double check Kaspersky's work and download and run a couple more malware scanners, Spybot Search and Destroy or Super Antispyware are 2 that pop to mind.

A bigger question from my perspective is "Why didn't Kaspersky find the problem and stop the infection before it got to the point it did". AV products should catch things before they infect. Does the Kaspersky product include both AV and AM in real time? AM real time protection is equally important as AV protection. If not I would look at replacing it with something else. I use and have read many good reviews of Microsoft Security Essentials, a free AV/AM product from MS that does a fine job.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Clint,
    I got IE8 in jail and tried to run the sfc scannow, but it keeps telling me, "you must be an administrator running a console session in order to use the sfc utility". The account I use to log on has the word "administrator" under my name, but I recall reading somewhere that doesn't necessarily mean full rights. I tried creating a new account, but got all the same results. I despise all that user account garbage! Can you tell me how to get sfc to run? How about in safe mode? I don't even know what a "console session" is.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Wells View Post
    I got IE8 in jail and tried to run the sfc scannow, but it keeps telling me, "you must be an administrator running a console session in order to use the sfc utility". The account I use to log on has the word "administrator" under my name, but I recall reading somewhere that doesn't necessarily mean full rights. I tried creating a new account, but got all the same results. I despise all that user account garbage! Can you tell me how to get sfc to run? How about in safe mode? I don't even know what a "console session" is.
    A "console session" is the command window (aka, DOS window). To run a command session as administrator go to Start, type in cmd, right click cmd.exe and select "run as administrator".

NOTE: Starting with Vista and contuining with Windows 7 even though a user account is a member of the administrative group it does not have full machine administrator rights. It just means that the account can initiate more system level changes than a normal account. UAC will still want you to verify that it is your intent to change system level files, folders or settings.

Joe
    Joe