New Lounger
    Thanks

Curious about query results (Acc97 SR1)

Hi Gurus,

This is not a problem, a colleague asked me a question and I've got no idea.

He was running a query on a customer database, and decided to split the results into two reports, an A-L report and an M-Z report.

The criteria he used to create the A-L report on the Customer Name field was: <"M*"

This worked fine, with one exception. There was a customer called M&M Incorporated, which showed up in the A-L list, and not in the M-Z list.

I told him it was bviously something to do with the ampersand in the customers name, and to resolve the problem, I just created a non-displaying field in the query that returned the first character in the customer field and set the criteria to <"M".

The workaround worked fine, but then he asked me "why did the first one not work" and I couldn't think of an answer beyond the ampersand caused it, for whatever reason.

Any takers on the reason?

Regards,
    JP

Thanks

Re: Curious about query results (Acc97 SR1)

Hi,
    My guess would be that it is related to the ASCII value for '*'. The ASCII value for '&' is less than that for '*' (as is the value for '%', '$' and various others) and I suspect that somewhere in the code that interprets '*' as a wildcard, the ASCII values are calculated and used. You would probably also find that it returned 'M' if that existed as a customer name, since that is technically less than 'M' followed by any combination. You could probably use <="L*" as the criteria to get what you wanted.
    Hope that helps.
    Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Curious about query results (Acc97 SR1)

Thanks, mate - makes sense