Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I just wondered what others think of the current crop of media players. Real is gone and is replaced by the AVG offering, MediaMonkey is or was popular, Windows Media Player is still with us, and so forth. Those are all freebies or nominal sums for slightly more convenient version(s) Should they be all-in-one, or is it worth having a dedicated music program (to look up recording details) The landscape is shifting, and i would welcome any discussion of what is good or bad, or links to reviews.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I use WinAmp for music and VLC for movies. Though I really prefer smplayer on Linux for movies. I use these only for playback; I have about a dozen other apps that I use to create and manage media.

I used to use MusicMatch Jukebox for creating, managing and playing my music. I liked it so much I paid for a lifetime update. Then Yahoo bought them and ruined the player. That is when I switched to WinAmp and my host of peripheral utilities.

P.S. I will never let Real Player anywhere near any of my PCs. Whenever I did so in the past I deeply regretted it.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    For audio (music), IMO, nothing beats Media Monkey. But it doesn't do video. WMP is OK for video, but I've always found it to be a very clunky tool. Too many things are "automatic" and very hard to configure. I like VLC, but I really don't do much video on PCs anyway.

I'm with Peter, I hate Real Player and don't miss it in the slightest.
    Chuck

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Check out Download Zune software | Zune.net - Zune software. It is free. You don't have to have Zune hardware or setup a Zune account to manage your local media files.

Joe
    Joe

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
    Check out Download Zune software | Zune.net - Zune software. It is free. You don't have to have Zune hardware or setup a Zune account to manage your local media files.

Joe
    Thanks Joe, this is a new one on me, and I'll definitely give it a try.

Thanks
    For video, I like the freeware player MpcStar. It also comes with an audio player called Comet Player that meets my simple needs. It's been a while since I downloaded it, but I remember that it offers a tool bar or some such junk, so read the install screens carefully if anyone decides to give it a try.

John
    Dell Inspiron 530 Intel Pentium E2180 dual core @2.00 GHz 4GB Ram Win7 64 bit

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I agree with Peter Johnson on a number of points. I used Media Monkey until they broke it and now I use Winamp. It handles all my music and videos and I recently started to use the built-in podcast functionality.
    I will never allow Real or iTunes anywhere near my PCs; they are both viruses in my opinion ! I use Winamp for loading my iPod.
    For video playing, I use GOM or VLC

Don

Thanks
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald N Johnson View Post
    I will never allow Real or iTunes anywhere near my PCs; they are both viruses in my opinion !*
    I know that Real Player has in the past been criticised for behaving like spyware or adware, and I have avoided it for years for that reason. I'm not sure what you mean about iTunes, however. (Though I too prefer to use something else in conjunction with my ipod.)

But you are not the first in this thread to say that you avoid Real Player without actually explaining why. Can you say more, and are the faults that there used to be still relevant to the most recent versions?

Ian

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IanWilson View Post
    But you are not the first in this thread to say that you avoid Real Player without actually explaining why. Can you say more, and are the faults that there used to be still relevant to the most recent versions?

Ian
    Real Player, as I mentioned at the outset, simply no longer exists (whatever its merits or demerits may have been). It has been replaced by AVS MediaPlayer (which I mistakenly referred to as AVG), which has been around for a long time but which has a new version which is apparently considered good enough to replace Real. No one has yet commented on the AVS player, which, as I say, is a completely new version (and free of charge), and has no history of being spyware.

I personally have a licence for the full AVS line of products, and that definitely was not free. I guess I have to admit that I'm the one who should be testing it and reporting, since no one else seems to have heard of any of this.

Thanks
    I've abandon Real Player long ago and do not even recall why. I'm guessing what remains is the feeling of distain.
    I particularly like Winamp exclusively for music, although I am left with a feeling of considerable unease with it's new owners.
    Maybe it's time to start preserving older versions??
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint Rossmere View Post
    Maybe it's time to start preserving older versions??
    I still have MusicMatch Jukebox Plus tucked away, but programs are getting smarter all the time (for better or for worse).

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The reason I stopped using Real Player is that its update function messed up my PCs.
    I don't like iTunes for a number of reasons : I have a very large music collection and Winamp has better cataloguing functionality; iTunes used to include QuickTime which updated itself and locked up my PCs; I don't like the way that iTunes tends to take over file associations.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald N Johnson View Post
    The reason I stopped using Real Player is that its update function messed up my PCs.
    I don't like iTunes for a number of reasons : I have a very large music collection and Winamp has better cataloguing functionality; iTunes used to include QuickTime which updated itself and locked up my PCs; I don't like the way that iTunes tends to take over file associations.
    Thanks for taking the time to reply to my question. And I use Windows Media Player with my ipod, using a plug-in called *MGTEK dopisp to make it work with WMP, mainly because I like WMP better than iTunes..

Ian