New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm looking for a good (preferably free) AV with small signature updates. I'm unable to find good answers for a variety of friends in various parts of Africa. Norton can take 8 hours on dial up - no broadband available at any price. Does anyone know an approximate average size for AV signature updates?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    I'm looking for a good (preferably free) AV with small signature updates. I'm unable to find good answers for a variety of friends in various parts of Africa. Norton can take 8 hours on dial up - no broadband available at any price. Does anyone know an approximate average size for AV signature updates?
    Trend Micro Internet Security Pro (2010) has pattern files approaching 150 MB, which I can't imagine downloading over dial-up!

What is the threat environment for the computers at issue? Perhaps a weekly update would be sufficient?

I think some newer programs only download the difference between the existing signature/pattern file and the new one, but haven't researched that.

I don't know whether cloud-based protection would make sense; it minimizes local updates, but might only make matters worse if a lot of files have to be uploaded for scanning.

Thanks
    Try Microsoft Security Essentials Has had very good reviews, and the sig updates (daily) seem to be reasonably sized.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    MSE updates appear to be small and frequent
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    Try Microsoft Security Essentials Has had very good reviews, and the sig updates (daily) seem to be reasonably sized.
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint Rossmere View Post
    MSE updates appear to be small and frequent
    Can either of you locate the signature file and post its approximate size?

Thanks
    I am unsure of the signature file size, but generally the signature updates are approx. 1 MB or less. I have occassionalyy seen updates over 1 MB, but not that often. If a remember, when the next MSE sig update appears I will capture an image and repost to show the size. They come in at least once per day via Microsoft Update.I just checked and attached is today's sig. update:

[attachment=90766:mse sig.png]

This appears to be somewhat smaller than the norm, although as I stated they are not huge. I hope this is what your are looking for as the OP is interested in the update download sizes because of slow connection (?)

This post discusses MSE Virus definitions in some detail with links to MS for further info.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jscher2000 View Post
    Can either of you locate the signature file and post its approximate size?
    As Ted has pointed out, you can see an example of approximate size of a typical def file, but no indication of size of already installed defs.
    Not even at "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution" if they are even located there, or through WU.

I seriously doubt you will get any defs larger than a few MBs in MSE at any one time.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    As an update, today the sig. update was 900 + KB. Again very reasonably sized.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you all so much for your help. We will try MSE.