Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [attachment=90759:20101125025748.jpg]

Happy Thanksgiving to those who celebrate it! At the rate I am going, it seriously won't be me! A friend whose laptop I've cleaned up a few times asked me to look at his friend's laptop. His complaint was that it was moving very slowly and the wi-fi wouldn't connect to the internet.
    Five days @ 8-10 hours a day, I am in a totally different position - part of it caused by me with my incorrect response to the boot manager loading problem days ago.

This is an eMachine Notebook E545 and the first thing I did when it was cleaned up enough was to make a repair disk. At some point in this disaster, I could not boot the OS and there isn't a Windows 7 disk available.
    Then I found this information from the eMachine 545 website (see above) that some of the drives have the ability to be reinstalled from a hidden drive on the computer. I followed the directions - attached - and it came to a point where there were there were 3 boxes not mentioned in the instructions: Source, Destination and Speed. I did not know if I was to put something in there and as I was researching it, it continued on until it came to an error: WIMSETREFERENCEFILE:m:\d2\images\pop0107C0ox00cell 40.swm. When I clicked okay, it began the process again. It was asking me if I wanted a factory restore (YES - it was very infected) or restore everything except the person's files, etc. No matter which one I chose it went in a loop.

The second suggestion shows me how far over my head I am: I used my repair disk and pressed F12 as instructed and got the message that Windows is loading. Microsoft screen comes up and almost looks normal and asks for a keyboard method. Then it searches for Windows installations and doesn't find any. It tells me if my OS is not listed, to click load drivers for my hard disk and it takes me to a System 32 file with two driver files; Drivers and Drivers store. I don't know how to select the correct driver; all the files end in .sys. Somehow the OPEN box came up with the 4 hard drives and under File name says System and under Files of type says Setup Information. I don't know what to do next.

I would appreciate any assistance you could give me; I can not return it without an OS and I want to get it out of here!!!
    Thank you for your time.
    cs.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world."
    Mahatma Ghandi

Thanks
    The best thing I can up with is.Chat with a live tech here;eMachine Support Good luck.
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

Thanks
    To reinstall the OS, you would do a custom install of the original OS. It sounds as though the OS is so screwed up that a repair install will not work. I would assume that because you are using Alt + F10, that you do not have an installation disk and are reinstalling from a recovery partition. When you boot into the recovery partition there should be an option to install Win 7. Choose this optin rather than the repair installation. This should install a new copy of Win 7 directly over the existing partition. This will wipe out anything that's there already, and will require you to reinstall all apps, but the time it takes should be far less than what you have already spent.

After reinstalling the OS, I would suggest cleaning out all the garbage eMachines installs as far as sample apps, etc. then read all about Imaging in the Security and Backups forum and create an Image to restore from in the future. If you create new up to date Images as time goes on, your restoration will take less than 15 minutes. Be sure to make a repair disk for whatever Image app you choose to use.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello and thank you to both of you!

Ted, I have not seen an option to install Win 7 anywhere in the 10 times I've done this. The closest I've gotten it is the option to take it back to factory settings and I chose that but that just created some type of loop and I didn't get anywhere.

At some point, my computer was infected because I was sharing my internet connection with the laptop but at least it is protected.

Am I missing something else?

Many thanks!
    Mahatma Ghandi

Thanks
    You may have to format the partition the OS was originally in. I suspect the repair installation is not working because of the previous infection or the attempts to repair it you have already tried. You may have to see if eMachines will send an installation disk rather than the recovery partition. I never did like the recovery partition alternative. I like a real disk to work with. The recovery info from eMachines must not allow a complete reinstallation of the OS. Contacting their support may help to be able to accomplish this reinstallation.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    One more question, if you please? Can I make a set of disks from someone else's laptop running Window's 7? Would that take care of the problem?

I agree; I'd rather have a disk in my hand, too!

Thanks for your time.

cs.
    Mahatma Ghandi

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Citsme View Post
    One more question, if you please? Can I make a set of disks from someone else's laptop running Window's 7? Would that take care of the problem?

I agree; I'd rather have a disk in my hand, too!

Thanks for your time.

cs.
    You might be able to copy a win 7 installation disk as a backup. The problem comes into play when you are asked for an installation key. I believe the key that came with your PC is only good for that OEM version and will not work with a disk you might create from your friends disks.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Contact the manufacturer and see if you can get a replacement disk.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Can I make a set of disks from someone else's laptop running Window's 7?
    Most likely not. When my daughter wiped out the disk on her laptop I tried to restore her disk from my repair disks (we both have the exact same HP laptop) but my repair disk is somehow keyed to my laptop and refused to restore her laptop. The final solution was for me to use some other installation media I had and install that. I didn't supply a license key to the install, but instead after installing entered the license key at the bottom her laptop, and only then did I activate. (Windows license keys are very picky about which installation media they will work with.)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks everybody for your suggestions! Your time and patience are appreciated!
    Mahatma Ghandi