Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    My OS is Win 7 Pro 32 bit.

I installed the free version of LogMeIn, and subsequently decided to uninstall it. Several registry entries remained, and I cannot delete them. If I try to delete an entry in the right pane of regedit I am told "Unable to delete all registry values". If I try to delete entries in the left pane I am told "Error while deleting key". I tried to get help from LogMeIn support, but their reply was "The legacy ones cannot be removed, as they are there to prevent people from misusing the trial of Pro2." I have gone back to LogMeIn support, pointing out that I installed the free version of their program, not the the trial of Pro2, and asking again how I can delete the remaining reg entries, but am not holding my breath for a reply.

Can anyone tell me how to delete the unwanted reg entries?

Help would be appreciated.

Thanks and regards,
    Roy
    OS Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit & Windows 7 Pro With SP1 64 bit. (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    You could try highlighting the entry then clicking on Edit -> Permissions, and see what is set there, changing to taste...
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Thanks
    You might try Revo Uninstaller I don't know if it will pick it up because you have already tried to uninstall, but if it doesn't reinstall and then uninstall with Revo
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy Whitethread View Post

Roy,
    Hello.... You need to set yourself as the "Owner" When you run "regedit" right click on the "parent" key and select properties > then advanced...Then click on the Owner tab and set yourself as the "big dog" ...you probably see trusted installer , restricted , system , etc . when finished "OK" out and now back at the first screen, give yourself full control click on "yourself"...then tick "allow" in the "full control" box ... If there are children keys involved you have to start with the last one , and work your way up the chain with this procedure. When finished you then can delete them starting at the last in the chain.Be careful when deleting "reg entries" you should have a backup handy or use the "Export " function and save the original key until you know that it worked. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    System restore to a time before you installed it and they will be gone.

Thanks
    If it will not work with the above suggestions...
    Run a potent registry cleaning utility and look for specific references the those files you wish to delete. Ignore all others.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for all the suggestions.

I tried to edit permissions and to change Owner but every time I clicked apply/ok I was told unable to set permissions/access denied.

I also tried installing Revo Uninstaller, then reinstalling LogMeIn and then uninstalling LogMeIn with Revo, but the legacy reg entries for LogMeIn are still there.

With regard to System Restore, unfortunately the restore points I have don't go back far enough.

Regarding Clint's suggestion, I used the Registry Find option in jv16 Power Tools to find the LogMeIn entries, but when I selected all of them and clicked delete was told they could not be deleted because Windows kernel said access denied.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Please advise.

Thanks,
    Roy

PS, I also tried regedit in Safe Mode, but it made no difference. When I rebooted I was given the option to either log on to LogMeIn or to Roy. (The first time this has happened.). I logged in to Roy, and then deleted the LogMeIn User Account and files (which I didn't know existed), and tried again to delete the unwanted reg entries, without success.

I have a recent System Image, but assume if I used that the LogMeIn reg entries would be recreated.
    OS Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit & Windows 7 Pro With SP1 64 bit. (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    I tried to edit permissions and to change Owner but every time I clicked apply/ok I was told unable to set permissions/access denied.
    Does anyone have any other suggestions?
    Roy ,
    Hello... When you Click on the registry entry... and expand them, did you start on the last entry ? (to take ownership ) I have never had this "take ownership" tactic fail . I know that the sequence that you do things is quite "picky" and if not done correctly it won't work. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Fred,

Hello, yes I did start on the last entry.

I tried again to delete the entries using jv16 Power Tools, and their error message reads:

[15:39:18 - Error]: Failed to remove "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\Root \DISPLAY\0000 : DeviceDesc"! Windows core returned the following error: "Access denied or invalid key (PT)"
    [15:39:18 - Error]: Failed to remove "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\Root \DISPLAY\0000 : Mfg"! Windows core returned the following error: "Access denied or invalid key (PT)"
    [15:39:18 - Error]: Failed to remove "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\Root \DISPLAY\0000 : HardwareID"! Windows core returned the following error: "Access denied or invalid key (PT)"
    [15:39:19 - Error]: Failed to remove "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\ Root\DISPLAY\0000 : DeviceDesc"! Windows core returned the following error: "Access denied or invalid key (PT)"
    [15:39:19 - Error]: Failed to remove "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\ Root\DISPLAY\0000 : Mfg"! Windows core returned the following error: "Access denied or invalid key (PT)"
    [15:39:19 - Error]: Failed to remove "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\ Root\DISPLAY\0000 : HardwareID"! Windows core returned the following error: "Access denied or invalid key (PT)"

I don't know what else to try, but hope someone does.

Regards,
    Roy

Roy Whitethread

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello, yes I did start on the last entry.

I don't know what else to try, but hope someone does.
    Roy ,
    Hello... is there only one entry for the program ? there might be other entries in other "hives" that you would need to remove first.. that are preventing you from removal... I have one more trick it's called Total uninstall 5... more about that one latter Regards Fred

PS: jv-16 will not remove keys that don't have the proper ownership. And i agree with Clint..that there is something "leftover" see this thread about removal of "leftovers" http://bro.ws/780052L
    PlainFred

Thanks

I installed the free version of LogMeIn, and subsequently decided to uninstall it. Several registry entries remained, and I cannot delete them. If I try to delete an entry in the right pane of regedit I am told "Unable to delete all registry values". If I try to delete entries in the left pane I am told "Error while deleting key". I tried to get help from LogMeIn support, but their reply was "The legacy ones cannot be removed, as they are there to prevent people from misusing the trial of Pro2." I have gone back to LogMeIn support, pointing out that I installed the free version of their program, not the the trial of Pro2, and asking again how I can delete the remaining reg entries, but am not holding my breath for a reply.

Help would be appreciated.

Thanks and regards,
    Roy

It would appear that the software program "LogMeIn" was not uninstalled properly. Look for a process or service that specifically belongs to this program and disable/delete it.
    You may find it advantageous to do so from safemode.
    for deleting services: sc delete "servicename".
    If that does not work, reintsall the program and look over it's product spec sheet for removal instrunction located on it's manufacturer/programer website, them proceed to uninstall.
    I do not know anything about this program. If the application shares functionality with your browser you will need to see if it has a browser addon component to remove.

LogMeIn Community

CLiNT
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello Clint and Fred,

I tried the sc delete LogMeIn command, but no service was found, and there were no items in Services or Task Manager relating to it, and nothing in browser addons for IE or Firefox.

Fred, with regard to the registry entries, I assume I am right in thinking that in regedit, if I first highlight Computer and then search for the program name, then when entries are found and I have dealt with those, click find next and keep to this routine until regedit says finished checking the registry, that all hives will be searched.

I installed Total Uninstall 5, and that got rid of some, but not all, of the reg entries. However, I used regedit again, and went through the take ownership routine again.When I clicked permissions on the last entry, at first I was told unable to open permissions, access denied. When I right clicked the same entry again and selected permissions I was told something to the effect that I could not view the current permissions but that I could edit permissions! I then clicked Advanced, changed Owner to Administrators, and then gave Administrators full control, and clicked apply and ok. I then right clicked the last reg entry and clicked delete, but at first was told Access Denied! However, after a second or so a sub-key of what previously appeared to be the last key appeared. (I had previously clicked expand on the key I originally thought was the last one, but no sub-key appeared). I went through the same procedure with this sub-key, and was finally able to delete it, and then to delete the parent key. I had to do the foregoing for every remaining key, and finally managed to delete all of them.

I used regedit to search for entries for the program again, as a final check, and I am pleased to say none were found.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this subject.

Best regards,
    Roy

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    It has been my experience in dealing with stubborn registry entries via Regedit, that it works best to logon as a member of the Administrators Group, open MMC, expand Users in Users and Groups, and enable the default Administrator.

Logoff and then logon as the default Adminsitrator, and run Regedit from that account. I have found that the default Administrator has a few more permissions than created accounts in the Administrators Group. I have never experienced a change of ownership failure of any registry entry using the default Administrator account.

Also, I would advise a number of individual searches for the same item or item type; they don't all show up on the first round. I have used as many as seven or eight searches for the same string before finding and manipulating all the entries I was after. I don't stop searching until I get three searches in succession that don't turn up any items in the search string.

That's three empty searches after the seven or eight successful searches.

Once your registry editing is complete, logoff the default Administrator, logon as a member of the Administrators Group and disable the default Administrator account through MMC.

Also, I say once again that I recommend against using any registry cleaner for any reason at any time. A thousand successes will not make up for one catastrophic failure.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    .When I clicked permissions on the last entry, at first I was told unable to open permissions, access denied. When I right clicked the same entry again and selected permissions I was told something to the effect that I could not view the current permissions but that I could edit permissions! I then clicked Advanced, changed Owner to Administrators, and then gave Administrators full control, and clicked apply and ok. I then right clicked the last reg entry and clicked delete, but at first was told Access Denied! However, after a second or so a sub-key of what previously appeared to be the last key appeared. (I had previously clicked expand on the key I originally thought was the last one, but no sub-key appeared). I went through the same procedure with this sub-key, and was finally able to delete it, and then to delete the parent key. I had to do the foregoing for every remaining key, and finally managed to delete all of them.
    Roy,
    Hello.... I'm glad that you prevailed, and probably that you have found out that deleting things, in that land of "OZ" is most times not as easy as it may sound ... But be happy in that you have learned another "puzzle piece" Like i have said that deleting things and taking ownership of the registry.... is very "picky" about how it's done. This "taking ownership" thing is a large pain, and i wish that there was a way to set myself as the "owner" , trusted installer" , and "system" once and for all ...with every folder , file , and registry entry, with a couple of commands ....Until that time we will have to slug through and "by shear force of will and determination" take complete ownership of our own PC's. ....even if we end up sometimes shooting our-self in the foot occasionally.... "trashing" our own system. But after all it's our PC ...right ? Regards Fred

PS: don't let anyone stop you with the "sky is falling " argument messing with the registry.... as long as you have a backup that is.
    PlainFred

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello bbearren and Fred,

Fred I agree 100% with your sentiments, and bbearren thanks for the information.

All of the help given to me in this thread is greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
    Roy

Roy Whitethread

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast