Star Lounger
    Thanks
    After seeing a demonstration on CNET, I decided to give the Beta of Internet Explorer 9 a try. It's remarkably stable in my Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit operating system so far. The interface is quite spartan and takes a bit to get used to. Running in the Aero GUI the very top is semi transparent in your theme color. The tabs, which now look like real folder tabs you would see in Manilla paper sit directly opposite the address bar, (the one you see the total URL). The first question that came up when I brought up IE9 was: Where is Favorites? The answer: On the right top and not as it has always been on the left top. This is going to take some getting used to! I still instinctively move to the left top to open Favorites and it's just not there anymore! The icons for Home and Tools reside with it in the upper right corner. The Favorites Bar found in IE8 appears to be gone, but don't panic, your links that you placed there are now in a folder called Favorites Bar in Favorites of course. Not sure I like this, I liked the Favorites Bar myself and used it for my major sites. Maybe they'll add it back if we complain loud enough! Because of the reduction in topside "clutter" the interface looks rather simplified but has a larger page area visible. Some might really like this reduction in clutter, but initially it's made me a bit nervous. I kind of panicked when I went to print a page and couldn't find a Print icon anywhere and of course there are no drop down menus either! I run the Google toolbar and the drop down menus that were in that are gone too! Never fear, just right click and Print is an option in there! IE9 has two versions that run in the 64-bit OS, just like those browsers in the past! The 32-bit version is necessary if you're going to need Flash so like before, you'll be running it more often. I have both version's icons perched on the desktop so that I can start either from a double-click on the desktop. This screen I'm working in right now is flash powered, and I can notice subtle differences in the way the edit screen works here rather than in IE8. I felt it was downright quirky there but in IE9 appears more stable. Still, it's not inserting the control characters for my special characters in the place I put them at all, making my work a super hassle! That is very annoying! I am not much fond of this editor anyway, it's cumbersome and very user unfriendly and how it runs in IE9 makes it even more so!

Alas, finally dumping Flash is one of the motivations behind[i[IE9[/i] in the first place! Many of us are tired of waiting for Adobe to get off their butt and get a 64-bit version released. The answer to it is html5. Since Microsoft is a newcomer in this arena, they've seen what not to do that others have tried and consequently at the moment their browser runs html5 faster and smoother by a significant amount in comparision to other browsers. That's what impressed me the most in the demo I saw! IE9 is stable early on and does everything quite nicely especially color rendering noticeably better. They have a lot of work to do on the "look" of this browser though, in my opinion it's to "Plain Jane" looking and needs a little more artistic vision as well as the technical aspects. I'll keep you posted with my experiences with this in development browser just starting in to the beta phase. So far I like it though!

Thanks
    The Favorites bar is still there. Just right click near the Home icon and place a checkmark by Favorites bar.

Jerry

Thanks
    As Jerry states right clicking near the icons in the upper right allows you to turn some of your favorite toolbars back on. I turned on Favorites, Command, and Status.

[attachment=90775:IE9.png]

Adobe had a 64 Bit version of Flash available for a while, but then the link would not download for me. Fortunately I did get it on my PC when it was live, missed on wife's PC, but then we found some of the sites she needed for work did not render on the beta so went back to IE 8 for her. I am having very good luck with IE 9 beta. A couple of minor quirks, but overall good. In fact it seems to be behaving better than Chrome 9 beta. Because it is beta, the 64 Bit version can not as yet be set to default, but the 32 Bit version of IE 9 beta will allow default usage.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    This link to download 64-bit Adobe Flash Player worked fine a few moments ago on 30 November:

Here

Edit: Quote from the link page:

"Important: Please note that if you install the Flash Player "Square" preview, you will need to keep this version up to date by manually installing updates from the Flash Player "Square" download page on Adobe Labs. You will not receive automatic update notifications for future final releases of Flash Player, and you will need to manually uninstall Flash Player "Square" before installing a final shipping version of Flash Player."

(Edit on 06 December: The link has changed. Here is the new one. See also post #9 below)

Here
    (My Setup: Custom built: 4.00GHz Intel Core i7-6700K CPU; MSI Z170A Gaming Carbon Motherboard (Military Class III); Win 10 Pro (64 bit)-(UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; 2 X GeForceGTX 1070 8GB Graphics Card (SLI); Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2017 Premium, Norton Internet Security, VMWare Workstation12 Pro). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Witalka View Post
    The Favorites bar is still there. Just right click near the Home icon and place a checkmark by Favorites bar.

Jerry
    Thanks Jerry! It's nice to have that bar back again!

Allen C. Morse III

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    As Jerry states right clicking near the icons in the upper right allows you to turn some of your favorite toolbars back on. I turned on Favorites, Command, and Status.

Adobe had a 64 Bit version of Flash available for a while, but then the link would not download for me. Fortunately I did get it on my PC when it was live, missed on wife's PC, but then we found some of the sites she needed for work did not render on the beta so went back to IE 8 for her. I am having very good luck with IE 9 beta. A couple of minor quirks, but overall good. In fact it seems to be behaving better than Chrome 9 beta. Because it is beta, the 64 Bit version can not as yet be set to default, but the 32 Bit version of IE 9 beta will allow default usage.
    Ted: My sentiments exactly! It is very stable and now that I've got a few toolbars back on, (thanks Jerry & Ted!), I'm liking this browser a whole lot! I set Command on but didn't notice any difference. Maybe I have to restart the browser to get that. I would like to use the 64-bit browser but I haven't seen any flash for it that I could count on to work properly. Would like to use that browser. Wonder when Adobe is going to fix this and all the other "weird bugs" it has? I myself am tired of the problems with this add-on and would like to see Flash no longer be supported on the Worldwide web. It's way more problem than it's worth!

Allen C. Morse III

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter S View Post
    This link to download 64-bit Adobe Flash Player worked fine a few moments ago on 30 November:

Here

Edit: Quote from the link page:

"Important: Please note that if you install the Flash Player "Square" preview, you will need to keep this version up to date by manually installing updates from the Flash Player "Square" download page on Adobe Labs. You will not receive automatic update notifications for future final releases of Flash Player, and you will need to manually uninstall Flash Player "Square" before installing a final shipping version of Flash Player."
    Peter: The link only shows 32-bit only versions of the 10.2 player. I am having problems with the current version of Flash in that the extra control characters insert back from where they are supposed to be inserted thus totally screwing up the message royally! I haven't figured out if this is the browser or flash! It does run differently in IE9 and as it is makes using the compose screen here a miserable experience! This is the only super annoying problem I've encountered with this new browser currently. If the sysop doesn't believe me, load IE9 and come to the compose screen and try and do italics, bold, or underline and watch where the control characters go! You'll see what I'm talking about immediately!

Allen C. Morse III

Thanks
    @AllenMorse III: The link has, I see, changed (again). Adobe Flash Player "Square" (64-bit) can now be downloaded at the following link:

Here

(Edit): I have downloaded and installed it and it works just fine with IE9 Beta (64-bit)

I quote from the site:

"Adobe® Flash® Player "Square" is a preview release that enables native 64-bit support on Linux, Mac OS, and Windows operating systems, as well as enhanced support for Microsoft Internet Explorer 9 beta.

We have made this preview available so that users can test existing content and new platforms for compatibility and stability. Because this is a preview version of Flash Player, we don’t expect it to be as stable as a final release version of Flash Player. Use caution when installing Flash Player "Square" on production machines.

The key new capabilities in the Flash Player "Square" preview are:

•64-bit support — Native support for 64-bit operating systems and 64-bit web browsers on Linux, Mac OS, and Windows.
    •Internet Explorer 9 hardware accelerated rendering support — Enhanced support for Internet Explorer 9 Beta. It takes advantage of hardware accelerated graphics in Internet Explorer 9 Beta, utilizing hardware rendering surfaces to improve graphics performance and enable seamless composition"
    (My Setup: Custom built: 4.00GHz Intel Core i7-6700K CPU; MSI Z170A Gaming Carbon Motherboard (Military Class III); Win 10 Pro (64 bit)-(UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; 2 X GeForceGTX 1070 8GB Graphics Card (SLI); Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2017 Premium, Norton Internet Security, VMWare Workstation12 Pro). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.