Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I just watched a video on PCMover - very short = looks like the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Is it really as trouble free as they say for moving apps and settings.

I assume this does NOT move ie ghost or copy or image the OS..........only apps like MS Office, Open Office, Firefox, etc. along with your settings.

WorldStart was hawking this for $20.

Any comments appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks
    I always find that a clean install of an OS just works better with fewer unexpected problems when apps are clean installed as well. Most apps are tightly intertwined in the OS they are installed on. When you move these apps to another OS, you might also drag some parts of the old OS (common files, etc) to the new OS, thus creating unanticipated problems. In other words might work one time or for one person, and not the next. Plus, when I install apps from scratch after loading a new OS, I have the opportunity to ensure I get the latest version of the app. This is also generally a plus when working with a new OS.

I have never used PCMover, so can"t answere that question specifically, but my feelin is that if I'm upgrading my OS, I want my installation to be as pristene as I can make it.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Not sure if the thread is old enough, but anyway. I used Mover to upgrade a 32 bit XP to a 64 bit Windows 7 a year ago and most programs migrated quite well. If I remember well, I had an issue with Office, but that was easily reinstalled. All other programs were migrated nicely and that saved me a lot of work.

IMHO, PC Mover is a very well done product and it just works.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Looking at user evaluations (e.g., Amazon product evaluations), I found that PCMover users tend to fall into two groups. About half think it's at least pretty good. The other half had a horrible time with it and wouldn't wish it on their worst enemy.

I'm always skeptical about bad user reviews, but when I see a pattern like this I have to pay attention.

What about competing products? Have any of them yielded a better experience?

Thanks
    I used it to move from XP 32 bit to W7 64 bit and it worked great...
    Only a few small glitches that were easily solved.
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"