I just started messing around with openSUSE 11.3 (64-bit version, KDE environment), so on this one problem I probably need somebody who can patiently guide me...

My desktop computer has an internal fax/modem card (PCI version, mod. USR5610C). I am very confident that this card works with Linux and U.S. Robotics guarantees that much on their web site.

I connect to the Internet via DSL but I am attempting to set up the internal analog modem card as a back up should the DSL line be temporarily down. I went to YaST -> Modem and I see that my card was detected as "U.S. ROBOTICS 56K FAX INT Modem Not configured". I pressed Edit and the Modem Parameters page says that the device is in "/dev/ttyS4". I am not sure that this is indeed where the modem is located (is there a way to make sure??) but I accepted it and proceeded to entering the name of my Internet service provider, the access phone number, user name, and password. So far, so good -- I think!

Eventually, I come to a window where YaST2 wants to install the following:
* jack Jack-Audio Connection Kit v. 1.9.5-2.8
* smpppd SuSE Meta PPP Daemon v. 1.60.46-1.1.1

So far I have not installed them because of the Jack-Audio Connection Kit software. Do I really need to install it in order to get the modem working? The reason I am being careful is that I just spent weeks and weeks in trying to get my audio card (ASUS Xonar DX 7.1, PCI-E) to work with openSUSE and I sure do not want to mess things up and start all over again!

Could I get some guidance from the experts on this group? Also, is there a step-by-step guide on the Internet on how to set up an analog modem with openSUSE 11.3?

Ideally, I would like to set up and use my fax/modem card with the GUI software provided by YaST (KDE environment). If at all possible, I would like to stay away from command-line instructions (wvdial/wvdialconf, etc.) because I am a newbie and have troubles with command window instructions...