Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Greetings Windows Lounge!

I have a low spec Windows XP Dell Dimension, and I have noticed that it has definitely started to bog down lately. Even after upgrading the RAM to maximum capacity (2GB) it still has incredibly slow start and shut down times, and it doesn't handle multi-tasking very well. To combat this issue, I have swapped out many higher usage applications and programs for lighter, lower resource alternatives. For example, I swapped Firefox with Chrome, and iTunes with MediaMonkey. However, I am looking for a lighter antivirus program that is easy on an older, slower system like mine. I am currently using AVG, but I would be happy to hear of any other programs that might not use as many system resources. I have heard that Panda Cloud Antivirus is useful, as it stores all the antivirus definitions at a server (in the cloud) instead of on my computer. It also was ranked in the top 5 on the Consumer Reports' list of free antivirus programs. On the other hand, I have heard that Avira is the most reliable AV, and it catches most viruses. Is it possible to have a lighter performing AV without sacrificing security? What do you think?
    "Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent." - Issac Asimov, from his novel "Foundation"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Henry,

I'd suggest Microsoft Security Essentials {MSE}.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    [OPINION]
    Unfortunately, AV software is not known for being "light weight" or easy on system resources.
    If I had a system such as yours I would not have continuously active AV software at all. Your AVG will be fine as far as system resources go, just
    disable all of it's active functioning including self updates, and just do "spot" scans and updates when needed. You could supplement AVG by going on the
    internet to reputable sites that offer "online virus scans".

If you are knowledgeable & carefull with your browsing habbits and overall computer security you should manage quite nicely. Make yourself a known good hard drive image from time to time
    and store them on an external drive or DVD disk(s).

If you absolutely have to have a continuously running AV program installed try MSE. Search the Security & Backups section of the lounge for
    opinions on MSE and others.
    Before you try any AV software make certain you have an imaged backup of your operating system to fall back on if things don't work out.
    This way you can trial many AV programs without the hassle of faulty uninstalls or other software related mal-interactions.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint Rossmere View Post
    If I had a system such as yours I would not have continuously active AV software at all.
    To make that work, you also need to disconnect from the internet, because many reputable web sites get hacked and deliver malware via "drive-by download" or redirect to malware download sites.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jscher2000 View Post
    To make that work, you also need to disconnect from the internet, because many reputable web sites get hacked and deliver malware via "drive-by download" or redirect to malware download sites.
    Yes, that is a risk. Some will find it easier to mitigate, others will not. It's an option for some, ...and workable too, as I have done it for years in XP & IE
    with the occasional, but mostly minor annoyances now and then.
    Disconnecting from the internet is a tad bit extreme and unnecessary though.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    Thank you all for your helpful replies! I wasn't aware that MSE was available for XP; I thought it was Windows 7 only. That definitely makes for a nice change, as it won't pester me with upgrade purchase notices. I will certainly try it, and if it doesn't seem to make a huge impact, I might try Panda Cloud. In the end, if nothing works to free up speed on my comp, then I could always follow Clint's advice and just turn off automatic updates and background scanning, and only scan it from time to time. I'm usually fairly safe with my Internet use, so I think this could be a viable option to free up some of my computer's resources.
    "Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent." - Issac Asimov, from his novel "Foundation"

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I hate to pee on the parade but I'm gettting ready to uninstall MSE on my XP box because of the exact things that you are trying to avoid. Do a search for MsMpEng.exe and you'll find out why everybody is complainig about MSE. I found out the hard way when System Mechanic kept locking up. My internet access has slowed down considerably and anything that attempts to look at a process gets slugged by MsMpEng.exe. Also.... read the T&C's VERY carefully for MSE. You become a member of Spynet whether you want to or not. There is no way to opt out. I'm looking hard at Comodo for my next AV software. Oh yeah, I had to ditch Zone Alarm also because it would lock up the machine while doing updates. Believe me, I'm as frustrated as you when it comes to this AV software taking over the box. My 2 cents!

Bender
    Do your part!!! Report SPAM to http://www.spamcop.net/

Thanks
    Bender,

Sorry but I haven't had a single problem with MSE on 4 different machines, all of which are or were dual boot setups, for over a year now! This includes both Win 7 (64 & 32 bit) and XP SP-3. As to the SpyNet if you choose basic it only sends info if malware is detected. YMMV - See below:
    Attached Images Attached Images

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

Thanks
    I concur on MSE. I have installed this fine product on at least 5 different PC's without ANY problems. I do have to admit these PC's all have Win 7 installed, so perhaps this app plays better with Win 7 than other versionss.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry but I haven't had a single problem with MSE on 4 different machines
    Does that mean the case is closed and we can all go home now? Am I not allowed to express an opinion different than yours?

Just because some of you have glowing results with the usage of MSE doesn't necessarily mean the rest of the world enjoys the same level of satisfaction. I'm happy to know that there are some folks that are having positive results from the product. I believe it is necessary to also point out any negatives, so that anyone who is entertaining the idea of using this product, can make an informed choice. Is that ok with you guys or should we just brush the bad stuff under the rug and pretend it isn't there?

Yes, MSE behaves quite diffferantly on a Win7 box than it does on XP. This thread is about an XP installation.

As far as the disclosure of personal information and the participation in SpyNet, not one of us knows exactly what type of infomation "could" be shared with Microsoft. You're just guessing. My point is you cannot opt out from this feature.The product is free and I suppose MS thinks it has the right to overrule your desire to privacy. That's something worthy to note. Some of us are a little less cavalier about sharing information. Is it ok that we feel that way?
    Do your part!!! Report SPAM to http://www.spamcop.net/

Thanks
    Bender,

I agree entirely. That's what I was doing...expressing my opinion. That's why the YMMV {You're Mileage May Vary} tag was on the end of the post.

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

Thanks
    All of us who run Windows operating systems have to come to terms with the nature of the beast. Microsoft has a great challenge to produce an OS that will run reasonably well on an incredible number of hardware and software configurations. Considering the sheer number of computers in the Windows install base, they do a pretty good job. As long as we use Windows, our mileage will vary (and I certainly do not advocate abandoning Windows). The only way we can know for sure if an application or driver will run well on our own personal computers is to simply try it. If it does not work out, and we are unable to isolate the incompatibility, then there will likely be another option to explore that will work for us. I have had excellent results running MSE as well as Avast Free Home on our computers (on different computers of course), but obviously not all hardware and software mixes are the same for everyone.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Thanks
    It appears in reading through most of the threads in these forums that problems with most apps, not just MSE or Avast or Norton, etc, are due to a particular system setup and incompatabilities of hardware or software. Sometimes a problem with the app in question is found, but far more often the problem lies in how the hardware/installed software acts and reacts to the app in question. As Gerald and RG state you may have problems based on what's already on your PC. I try many different things on my PC's, but our home PC's are for pleasure rather than work. We don't have large volumns of data to contend with, we don't render graphics all day, or any of that stuff so our layout of our systems is relatively simple. Perhaps this is why we have had zero (0) problems with MSE or Office 2010 or Win 7 or whatever app is presently being discussed. Most of these discussions are based on our personal opinions and experience with said apps and as RG so eloquently states, YMMV!!!

That said, in my opinion, MSE is an excellent AV/AM app that is provided free by MS. For most people it works very well, but YMMV depending on your particular system. MS, and most reputable app suppliers try to make their apps compatible with the largest number of PC's they can, but due to the multi-millions of setups, it is impossible to make the app compatible to all configurations.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    On Windows Secrets recommendation I installed MSE on my 2 desktops and my laptop. One desktop and the laptop run normally, but I finally had to take MSE on my other desktop and go to AVG. With MSE installed, I first noticed that my desktop icons took almost 10 minutes to come up and during that time, I was unable to start e-mail, Internet, or any other program. In Task Manager I found that MsMpEng.exe was utilizing 99% on my CPU time. It would keep fluctuating between about 45% to 99% CPU time with 99% most of the time. The icons on my desktop would begin loading at about one ever 30 seconds. When I ended the process, MSE would stop running so I r ealized MsMpEng.exe was tied to MSE. When I uninstalled MSE, MsMpEng.exe was gone and my desktop icons loaded immediately and I was able to open any program right away. Googling MsMpEng I found this process has been causing the same problem with other users for years. I didn't know MSE had been around that long, but there were posts going back years. I tried several suggested remedies, but MsMpEng remained a CPU hog.

Thanks
    Tom,

The old post on MsMpEng were for the old Windows Defender the predecessor of MSE. Why they didn't change the name I don't know.

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast