2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I currently have a three XP pc network, but the pc I use as my backup organizer and occasional business travel LT seems to be dying. If I decide to replace it, the new one will come with Win7. I have seen that there can be networking problems between 7 and XP. I have no intention of upgrading the other two machines to 7 till 2012.

My first question is, how likely am I to run into networking problems? We see the problems surfacing on this forum, but not the successes. Are there lots of success cases of XP / 7 networking being easy, or are most people just not trying to connect 7 and XP and the reported failures are a high proportion of those who tried it?

If a networking problem does surface can I resolve it when the machine is on the network (where it does nothing other than move files around) by running the XP mode which the more expensive 7's come with?

Or if I dump 7 and load XP on the new LT am I likely to run into driver issues?

Or - what have I forgotten to ask?

Peter

Thanks
    From browsing tech forums one would get the impression that there are nothing but problems with what you are suggesting.
    But I don't think that is the case and others who have more experience in setting up networks across differing operating systems can
    offer better insight into preparing for and troubleshooting any such issues that arise.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Peter,

There are some minor problems and Microsoft has a HotFix for XP so it recognized by Win 7. The thing to do is NOT set up a HOME group on the new Win-7 machine. Use standard networking just like you do currently with XP and you should be fine. At least, that has been my experience YMMV.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    I think it will be a mistake to dump Windows 7 for XP. In addition to probable driver problems, Windows 7 is much more secure and stable.

I agree about the networking. Setup a Workgroup as you have with XP. I have an XP PC, a Vista PC, & Win7 PC networked sharing various folders and peripherals without a problem.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    I have mostly suggested for some that have network sharing questions in your situation.This site;How to Geek.Happy Holiday's days.
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks folk - it sounds like my risk is low if I follow your advice.

Peter

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I just set up a network with Win 7 and Xp and had minor issues. As stated before don't create a home network in win 7. My biggest issue is with Zone Alarm. I have to turn off Zone Alarm for my XP machine to see the win 7 machine. I'm still working on this one but that may be your problem. I will post back when I figure out my problem.
    John

New Lounger
    Thanks
    One of the most confusing things I encountered was setting up a Win7 machine for using a printer shared from an XP machine. It's counter-intuitive -- you need to set it up using the "local port" option. Doing a bit of search engine research beforehand will save you a lot of head scratching and frustration. The tricks are out there.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If you have to turn off Zone Alarm the most likely problem is the Firewall > Zones settings. You must have your NIC in theTrusted zone. The screenshot is of the free version. Don't know about the settings in the paid version.

[attachment=90804:ZA.png]

JB
    Attached Images Attached Images

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Have a 3-machine network, 2 with XP the third a recent addition with Win 7, The arrangement works well using the original all XP workgroup configuration. Only glitch was the requirement
    to obtain a 64 bit driver for the printer connected to one of the XP machines, since my Win 7 machine has a 64 bit OS.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Peter
    Last year when I got my new laptop,(Windows 7 Home Premium) I also bought a router and tried to set up a network with my old desktop which was an XP Professional. I did have some problems, especially with accessing the printer hooked up to the desktop from my new laptop. This I absolutely wanted. When I talked to the tech rep at the store he suggested that I forget it. I would not do that and searched around the internet and found that Cisco has a program called "NetworkMagic" The basic model was free at the time and after downloading it and installing it had the network working like a charm within minutes. The program free version is no longer available but for $25 a year you can have it and it solves all your problems and provides you with some good tools. I do think they do have a trial version that is still available so you can test it and if you find it works for you as well as it did for me the $25 is well worth it.
    Peter Emch

Thanks
    Another thing to be wary of when adding a Windows 7 machine into the mix with XP machines is the File sharing connections under Advanced sharing settings. The default Windows 7 setting is to use 128 bit encryption to help protect file sharing connections. XP does not work well with that setting, so the setting should be changed to "Enable file sharing for devices that use 40- or 56- bit encryption".

I have had great success networking Windows 7 and XP computers on my Home network for over a year by following the How To Geek tutorials already referred to by chowur.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill