New Lounger
    Thanks
    My Vista PC has an internet connection that works. I can remote control into the machine, and Jing works to save data on their site, so I know it has a connection. But none of my browsers work. IE, FireFox and Chrome. None will give me a page and all act like I don't have a connection.

Using Windows security program. Tried turning off firewall, but that made no difference.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Jeff

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Try this in IE ....
    Tools>InternetOptions>Connections>LAN settings ....
    I have no check marks for Automatic Configuration and none in Proxy Server

Thanks
    Here is what Tim is suggesting: You may have to set up a connection.

[attachment=90786:LAN.png]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks. I tried the connection setting with both options: no check or check to automatically detect settings.

Neither works. This is so strange. iTunes works. And when Windows tries to diagnose a connection problem (an option when IE won't deliver a page) Windows says there is no problem.

AARRGGH

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi
    The problem seems to be caused by the Windows Vista Update "Update for Internet Explorer 8 Compatibility View List for Windows Vista (KB2447568)"
    I had the same problem, the only way I could overcome the problem was to restore the system to prior to Update Installation. Good Luck. It worked for me.
    Now I refuse to accept that particular update.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Had the same thing happen to me.
    I had been doing an uninstall of ie8, when windows lost a file and I could not complete the uninstall. The browser would no longer work, nor would Firefox.

What worked for me was to uninstall, and reinstall Firefox, which got it working. No manner of reinstalling or installing older versions of ie worked, installation would stop. I used Windows Explorer to remove [delete] ie8.

I then tried reinstalling ie8, at which point it appeared, with all my settings intact, and has been functioning normally since.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Have you checked that the DNS servers are defined? What is the result for an IPCONFIG?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Alf Jones View Post
    The problem seems to be caused by the Windows Vista Update "Update for Internet Explorer 8 Compatibility View List for Windows Vista (KB2447568)"
    I had the same problem, the only way I could overcome the problem was to restore the system to prior to Update Installation.
    That's an unexpected cause. In theory, IE can be set to ignore the Compatibility List. Would be useful if someone could test and see whether that makes any difference before rolling back. More info: Description of the Compatibility View list in Windows Internet Explorer 8 (MSKB) Understanding the Compatibility View List (MSDN).

New Lounger
    Thanks
    You might also check and see that you have no remaining parts of Norton's securtiy or Symantec update on your system. I have found this problem on several machines. I now keep a copy of Norton's removal tool on a pen drive.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Like Charles Phillips I have had this problem seemingly caused by Norton (possibly triggered by a Windows update), and solved it by the use of the Norton removal tool. Of course if you have never installed Norton on your machine this will be of no help to you.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Perhaps Winsock2 has become corrupted. You could try http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811259