Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Loungers,

About a month ago, I experienced an annoying behavior in Word 2003 (under Windows 7 on an HP Pavillion). I haven't done an exhaustive trial to determine if there's a particular underlying reason for this behavior but I've noticed a few things - hoping someone can point me in the right direction for a fix.

The problem is that the last few lines of a document don't get printed out (HP Photosmart C7250 printer). This can be as much as 4-5 lines (eg, the closing and signature of a letter). Separately, I've also noticed that the 2nd line of a 2-line footer (eg, Page #) sometimes doesn't print, sometimes does; this actually has been going on much longer.

Observations regarding problem:
    1. Print Preview works fine
    2. Checked HP website for newest driver - nothing new (this was done using the HP software on the PC to check, not directly going to the HP website and searching for the latest driver for my printer).
    3. When printing from other applications such as Notepad or IE, lines can print pretty much near the top/bottom of the physical page. For example, printing a web page does result in the URL and date very near the bottom of the page.
    4. The recent problem with Word occurs even if the last physical line was only about 3/4 of the way down the physical page. (The problem with the footer obviously deals with the bottom of the page.)
    5. Adjusting the font size doesn't help. I had a 1-page letter that Print-Previewed to the bottom of the page but didn't print out entirely. Even if making the font smaller so the letter prints to 3/4 of the way down the page, I still lost the last few lines of the letter.
    6. I recently uninstalled Word 2007 and this may (don't recall for sure) have been about the same time when the recent problems occurred. Even if so, I don't get the connection. (I'll probably be uninstalling Office 2003 and then reinstalling it followed by Office 2010 over Christmas.)
    7. Only thing that seems to help is to make the vertical size of the footer area bigger (even tho nothing in it) and the document body smaller. I know this could be an issue but it wasn't until recently and also see #4 and #5 above.

Any thoughts?

TIA

Fred

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Hi Fred,

Unfortunately this problem seems to be drawing a blank. Is the printer new? Was this same printer previously printing OK? Have you had the opportunity to try hooking up another printer and see if that behaves differently?

Gary

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Gary,

Thanks for thinking about the problem - even if it's drawing a blank.

In response to your questions:
    - printer is NOT new. I've had it about 2 years. I was going to mention it but looks like I forgot - it's an HP C7250 Photosmart (Costco branded printer).
    - it was working fine before
    - I don't have another printer to hook up to my PC to see if it works. Since the PC is a laptop, I could bring it over to a friend's house and see if it works with their printer. Not something I'm in a hurry to do.

As I said, I think I'm focused on the fact it started happening when I uninstalled Office 2007; so I'll wait until Christmas holiday and try uninstalling 2003, then re-installing 2003 and a new install of 2010. The observation about changing the footer size I think is a red herring since it worked fine in the past even when I ran the body down near the bottom.

Fred

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    This sounds like the page setup doesn't match the paper size. Have you verified the paper size in Word is the same as the paper size in the printer setup dialog?

Can you save the Word document to PDF and have a look at that result and try printing the PDF to the printer? What result do you get?
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Andrew,

thanks for the suggestions.

While I didn't check the paper size or try saving/printing with PDF, I did print a Word document yesterday that went pretty much top to bottom of the physical page and NOTHING was lost. So I'm thinking it's more an issue of a page footer than other things. Even so, when I shrunk the text (made font size smaller) so it fit in about 3/4 of a page, with a small footer at the bottom, I still had problems. So the footer doesn't seem to be the answer either.

Over the Christmas break I'll have more time to investigate.

Fred

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't know if this will help, but we had a similar problem in O2007 recently (the ends of prints were being lost), and it turned out that it was fixed by going to Office > Word Options > Advanced and UNchecking "scale output for A4 and 8.5 x 11" paper sizes". Yes, UNchecking it!

I know this sounds weird (and even counter-intuitive!) but it worked - and hey, with Microsoft, if it works, you just give up asking why after a while!
    Beryl M

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    HP Inkjets tend to have a fairly large unprintable bottom margin. I seem to recall with some HP Inkjet Printer drivers that there is a setting in the Printer Dialog somewhere about extending the bottom printable area. [It gives a warning about possible loss of quality in the extended area but that is usually only applicable to photo prints.}

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi All,

This just got a little weirder. But at least, I think, it suggests a Windows or printer problem, not a Word problem.

Yesterday, I printed 2 one-page documents (2 files) from NotePad.
    - they both have a header (which I deleted from the files after printing bcs the files had been copied from another file for which the header was relevant)
    - they both have a footer that says "Page 1"
    - I examined both page setups and they are identical: Size=Letter, Source=Auto Select, Left/Right Margins=.75, Top/Bottom Margins=1, Portrait mode

File 1 (on the NYC Marathon) has verbage that covers about 80% of the page; it printed ok to the last line, including the footer.

File 2 (on growth of Baseball Salaries and Revenue Growth) has verbage that covers less than half the page (40% ?). It did NOT print the last 2 lines of the body (altho the top about 1/4 of the penultimate line was visible) and did NOT print the footer. This is similar to what I was getting in Word that prompted my original post.

So I went back just now to see what would happen and got the info about header, footer, and page setups - not that anything changed from yesterday.

Now both print fine! Obviously a good thing but I'd like more predictability.

I did not go into the HP Print Driver to make any changes. As mentioned yesterday, it did not seem the problem was a footer in Word.

Fred

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi All,

Thanks for the help here. Maybe a moderator can move this thread to a more appropriate forum (Windows 7?). Two more occurrences in the last few days definitely point away from Word.

1. I went to print 2 Explanation of Benefits (EOBs) from my insurance company that were in PDF form. The first one went all the way down to about 3/8 inch from the bottom. The last line (which was the logical last line to print on the first page (I printed only 1 of the 2 pages) was about 1/2 cut off. Other than that, everything printed. The second EOB printed was cut off about 1 inch from the bottom (1/2 the line printed) with about 15 lines still to print (known by looking at the display).

2. I copied a table from a Web page and pasted it into Excel. Deleted a few columns that were not needed. The table had 9 rows and was pretty small. So I increased the height of the rows and the font. Still, the table took about 1/4 page. No footer. Went to print the 1 page. Last row was about 1/4 cut off.

Thoughts?

Fred

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Did you check all the options in the Printer driver setup for extending the bottom margins as I suggested?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Now that I have a little more time (not a lot but I'm at least done with marking papers for the semester), I checked a few things suggested by others (and I've posted a few things since those suggestions):

- Beryl's suggestion on Word option to be unchecked: O2003 does not have an Advanced set of options but it does have a Print set of options that includes "Allow A4/Letter paper resizing." It is checked. Not sure what unchecking it will do given subsequent observations since your posting about similar problems in PDF and Excel.

- Terry's suggestion about extending bottom margin in print driver. Not sure if Inkjets have the same options as the Photosmart series. Closest I come to such an option is in the Advanced Document Settings, there is a set of Printer Features, one of which is Minimize Margins. It is currently On.

I'll also mention that I printed a web page from IE yesterday and it printed the URL at just about the very bottom of the page - probably not more than an 1/8 inch of space between the bottom of the printed line (and it was NOT cutoff) and the bottom of the physical page.

Thanks.

Fred

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fburg View Post
    - Beryl's suggestion on Word option to be unchecked: O2003 does not have an Advanced set of options but it does have a Print set of options that includes "Allow A4/Letter paper resizing." It is checked. Not sure what unchecking it will do given subsequent observations since your posting about similar problems in PDF and Excel.
    Well, I did say it seemed strange, and even counter-intuitive - but it worked for a similar problem for us.

Try it. If it doesn't work, re-check it.

What have you got to lose?!
    Beryl M

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Beryl,

I did uncheck it yesterday but haven't printed a Word document yet.

Or are you saying it is SOOOOO strange that unchecking it would affect documents printed from other apps? Yesterday, I did print 2 1-page files in landscape mode in Excel that printed fine all the way down to within about 1/4 inch from the bottom of the physical page (including an Excel footer). But further up in the thread, I commented about how a 1/4 page document (in portrait mode) in Excel lost half of the last line.

Fred