New Lounger
    Thanks
    bought a used laptop with xp pro on it. got to digging andf found an old machine account in user accounts and deleted it. now only my administrator acct. and the guest acct is on the computer. trbl is that now all of a sudden, xp pro want me to click in on the welcome screen or use a password when i turn the welcome screen off. any abody have an idea how to bypass this? I never had to do it before and rather continue as i had been. thanks!!!!!!!!!

Thanks
    You must have a computer administrator account on a computer that is a member of a workgroup or is a stand-alone computer to turn on or turn off the Use the Welcome screen feature. Logging on at the Welcome screen is not available on computers that are members of a network domain

Open User Accounts in Control Panel.

Click Change the way users log on or off.

Do one of the following:

To specify that users log on to the computer using the Welcome screen, select the Use the Welcome screen check box.

A user logs on to the computer by clicking his or her user account name on the Welcome screen. If a password is assigned to the account, the user is prompted to type it.

To specify that users log on to the computer without using the Welcome screen, clear the Use the Welcome screen check box.

The Welcome screen will no longer appear when you start the computer. To log on to the computer, type your user name (and password, if you have one) in the standard Log On to Windows dialog box.
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

New Lounger
    Thanks
    thanks for the info - somehow the problem seems to have solved itsself. I restarted the laptop and it went straight to my desktop without asking for either a click or a password. beats the @%$& outta me!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nevillejames View Post
    bought a used laptop with xp pro on it. got to digging andf found an old machine account in user accounts and deleted it. now only my administrator acct. and the guest acct is on the computer. trbl is that now all of a sudden, xp pro want me to click in on the welcome screen or use a password when i turn the welcome screen off. any abody have an idea how to bypass this? I never had to do it before and rather continue as i had been. thanks!!!!!!!!!
    Seems you don't have an account in your own name!
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    When you rooted through the accounts, you probably just deleted the name that was originally used when the machine was set up. That is the reason you have only the admin and guest account left. The original name sticks to the user's folder in Documents and Settings, no matter what the logon is.