Lounger
    Thanks
    I seem to have discovered a strange condition which I shall call "super-hidden" folders and files in Windows 7 Professional (I have 32-bit version). I found this condition while searching for my Data folder in my Palm Desktop installation -- I sorta found it, but can ONLY see it from within the Palm Desktop application, in the Tools - Options - General tab under "Data directory".
    So far, I have turned-off all hidden files & folders settings, including "protected operating system files". I've installed XPlorer and it does not show the "super-hidden" folders and files (but DOES display many files and folders I cannot see from within Windows (7) Explorer. I downloaded "last changed files.exe", and can see a listing of many of the files/folders that contain changed files in these "super-hidden" locations, so I have proof that these files and folders actually exist where they ought to.
    Palm Desktop seems to be working "normally" (compared to being installed under Windows XP Pro a week earlier on another PC).

Has anyone seen this condition, and how to turn it off so I can use my computer as I need to?

Thanks
    Hi Bob,

Are you seeing Junction Points? Check out this article on junction points in Windows Vista. It would also be valid in Windows 7.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Welcome to Windows 7 although Vista had that mess also.
    you flip all them switches back where you don't see the junction points as Gerald link showed.

I need to see hidden stuff and things cause I want to see file extensions so I don't click on notepad.exe.bat which the .bat would be hidden normally and you get infected.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Can you post the actual location of the folder (obscuring any user name)?

Joe
    Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
    Can you post the actual location of the folder (obscuring any user name)?

Joe
    Sure. Palm Desktop reports my data is in C:\Program Files\palmOne\Bie@@@@ (with each @ indicating a character). The attached .TXT file is the listing of the PalmOne folder, as Windows 7 sees it.[attachment=90792almonelist.txt]
    Attached Files Attached Files

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Shepard View Post
    Hi Bob,

Are you seeing Junction Points? Check out this article on junction points in Windows Vista. It would also be valid in Windows 7.
    Gerald: Very good idea, but it didn't bear fruit. I ran the specific DIR command on the entire C: drive and the resulting TXT file indicated no junction points in the c:\Program Files folder or subfolders.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Here is more info on the history of the Dell Vostro 220s PC that I have running Windows 7 Pro (32-bit). Original OS was Vista Home, ran upgrade to Vista Pro, installed SP1 then SP2. Wiped C:\ partition (but retained the D:\RECOVER partition) and installed Win 7 Pro clean. Used Laplink's PCMover Business to move all apps, data and user profiles to Win 7. In hindsight, I'm thinking that the PCMover step introduced corruption somewhere (or many places) that is likely causing my issue.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Using Windows ExplorerCheck the C:\ProgramData folder for the Palm data. Windows does not allow programs to store data in the Program Files folder any longer. I believe it gets automatically redirected to the ProgramData folder. If the program does not realize that it may still report it as being in Program Files.

Joe
    Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
    Using Windows ExplorerCheck the C:\ProgramData folder for the Palm data. Windows does not allow programs to store data in the Program Files folder any longer. I believe it gets automatically redirected to the ProgramData folder. If the program does not realize that it may still report it as being in Program Files.

Joe
    Not there. It is "super hidden" in the c:\program files\palmone folder and subfolders and shown by 1) data path inside the Palm Desktop application and confirmed by 2) last changed files.exe when any change is made in Calendar, Contacts, Memos, etc. Since this is version 4.1.04 of the application (dated 4/2004), I doubt that Palmone spent any engineering time/$$$ with even Win Vista.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Answer to "super hidden" Palm Desktop data files

I realize I'm replying to an old thread, but I've had this same issue several times, and I keep finding this thread when I go to try to find an answer to my issue, so I thought I'd post the solution and in the event that I forget yet again, I will have answered my own question.

Background:
    I use Palm Desktop for contact management in Windows 7 Professional 64 bit. I no longer sync a Palm, but this is where my contact information has been residing and it's been meeting my needs, so I haven't switched to anything else.

I recently got a message from Palm Desktop that the database was corrupted, and it was backing up my "addresses.dat" file and replacing it with a BLANK/EMPTY address database (gasp!). The thing was, I had *no idea* where this file was located to go back and retrieve/restore my old database.

Previously (in XP) my Palm Desktop data was located in this folder:
    C:\Program Files\palmOne\(username), so I figured in Windows 7 64 bit it would be located here:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\palmOne\(username). However, it is not.

I looked in the other suggested folders (C:\ProgramData) and it wasn't there.

In Palm Desktop, when I click on TOOLS -> OPTIONS, the "Data Directory" is set to "C:\Program Files (x86)\palmOne"
    In that directory there is NOT a folder with my username (I looked via a DOS prompt as well). However (and this is the odd part) when I click on BROWSE next to that folder path, I get a old-school browse window (not the standard Windows Explorer browse window) and I *DO* see a folder with my username.
    I am familiar with symlinks/virtual directories, and this is NOT a symbolic link. There is no 'stub' pointer in the palmOne directory.
    Somehow Windows is just magically redirecting the data.
    After some further searching, I finally located my data. It's being stored in this directory:

C:\Users\(username)\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Pro gram Files (x86)\palmOne\(username)

Luckily in addition to having a backup, I was able to use the Windows 7 "restore one file" feature to bring back a copy of the address.dat file located in that directory, and I was back up and running with virtually no data loss. However, this is the second or third time I've needed to locate the Palm Data directory and I keep forgetting that I've found it before, thus I'm posting to this forum to remind myself for next time.

Now you know too.

Thanks
    Can you just tell Palm Desktop to use a different Data Directory and prevent this confusion?
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes. If ahead of time (before setting up a profile) you click TOOLS -> OPTIONS and change the data directory, Windows doesn't seem to re-direct the profile folder the way it does if you leave it in Program Files (x86).

However, if you don't change the data directory and you're looking for your profile folder later (to back it up or restore it), it will be in the "virtual store" under the "appdata" folder in your user profile.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Whenever Win7 hides something where I can't find it, I've had good luck with a free program named Everything, by Void Tools. Everything is very fast as it is actually reading storage indexing files already created by Windows. Even if it does not help with this particular hiding issue, it's a really handy tool to have.