4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I wanted to find out if there was a way to play a video, recorded on my video camera, directly on my laptop.

We had an event the other day and we videotaped people as they arrived and we wanted to play that back during the event. Because of the schedule, we didn't have enough time to download the file and transfer it to the laptop, so I was hoping to plug it in directly. I can't remember what brand of video camera we had, it belonged to someone else, but it's probably a fairly generic question. The laptop is a Dell XPS 16, running Vista. We have downloaded video from this camera to the laptop in the past, using a firewire connection.

Does anyone know if I can connect the camera and just play it on the laptop?

ps This idea of taping people as they came in was a last minute idea, which is why I didn't have time to figure it out ahead of time. What we ended up doing was using the video recording ability of a Canon point and shoot camera and then just putting the SD card into the laptop. It came out OK, but would have been better, I think with the video camera. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Thanks
    Most of the time, this can be done, however. It will depend on the brand of the video cam and the OS on the laptop. Most cameras include the cable to do this, in some cases it is a USB cable but not always.
    The 'generic' answer is "yes" if you know how.
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(