New Lounger
    Thanks
    Over the years Fred Langa has touted periodically restoring the OS to get rid of cobwebs.
    I have followed his advice and made BartPE boot/install discs for XPHomeSP2 and XPProSP2 and was given one for Vista by a repair Pro. They worked fine.

Now I have Win7-32 and have made a System Repair Disc from the Maintenance app. However, it does not provide the same capability. Is it possible to make a boot/restore disc for Win7?
    Jim Dillman, Ocala, FL, USA

Thanks
    Hi James, and welcome to the Lounge!

I am unaware of anything quite like BartPE for Windows 7, and like you, I have enjoyed using one on XP. The Windows 7 Recovery Environment is based on Windows PE. BartPE was a third party substitute for WIndows PE back in the day.

Check out this thread on how to create a Windows PE boot disk. Maybe this will serve what you are looking for.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Thanks
    Why not just create an Image? the Image will act, along with a Rescue Disk for whatever app you choose to make the Image from, as your restore media. The advantage, and it's a large advantage, is that the Image will include everything in the partition, all apps, customizations, user choices, everything, including any data in the partition. This way when you decide to reinstall you can get right back to where you were. If you don't want to use the latest Image (I reimage every time I make a change on my PC) you can choose an older Image. As long as you have named them appropriately with a date appended to them, you can choose whatever you want..
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    There is almost no need for the VAST majority of users to consider a regular reinstall of Windows 7. Windows 7 is very much more robust and stable than XP.

Take Ted's advice, choose an imaging solution & backup your system regularly.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    If you needs recommendations for Imaging apps, these have been discussed at length in the Security and Backup forum. Check out the numerous threads there.

BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Speaking of images, there is a procedure (provided your installation of Windows is Retail, not OEM) for making an image that has the ability to be restored to almost any PC of the same or newer vintage. For example, if one wishes to upgrade the whole box, it can be done, and as long as the installation is removed from the old PC, it meets the EULA for Retail versions of Windows.

It is the procedure I used when I upgraded from a Socket 7 motherboard with an AMD K6-III 450 MHz processor to an Intel D875PBZ Socket 478 motherboard with a Pentium 4 3.0 GHz processor. The system booted, installed multiple drivers, and looked just like the Windows 2000 Professional I had shut down from; it was a lot faster, though.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Fred and I part ways on this particular issue.

I have done one single reformat/reinstall in the last dozen or so years. A client's system had become infected with a nasty virus that deleted the majority of the Windows files. As there were a number of critical user files on the hard drive that had not yet been backed up, I first had to use a file recovery tool to find and extract those critical files, and then did a reformat/reinstall. There wasn't enough left of Windows to do a repair/reinstall, or even get Windows recognized as an installation through working from the Repair Console.

But that is the only time. In every other case, I have been able to restore Windows to its original performance level without having to reformat/reinstall. I have used repair/reinstall a number of times, and there have been a few times when I have had to repair Windows enough for a repair/reinstall to recognize the installation. But other than the single case I mentioned, I simply have found no need for a reformat/reinstall in order to restore Windows to its OOB (Out Of the Box) performance level.

Windows can be revitalized without going to those extremes.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows