New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have been thinking that I really should have a backup of all of my digital (and scanned) photos as they are irreplaceable. Most of the rest of my online stuff would be a huge pain to lose but would not be as personally bad. To overcome issues of offsite storage, media swapping during backups etc I have been looking into using an online backup service but am a bit hesitant to jump right in and thought I would get some other views on this.

Some of the issues that I have thought of:
    • My photos are stored on a NAS, so being able to handle network drives is a must.
    • Automatic backups, if I have to actually do stuff then it is less likely that I will.
    • Security is not a high priority, as long as I'm not dealing with "Dodgy Brothers Inc." I'm sure that any company's standard security will be enough for me.
    • Speed not such a huge thing as these are not critical files that I need to backup or restore immediately
    • Sharing not an issue, I use Piasa for photos already and DropBox for other files

From my very limited investigations, SugarSync seems to be a reasonable option.

I would be interested to hear of peoples thoughts about online backups as well as any recommendations on which one to use.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig Thomson View Post
    I have been thinking that I really should have a backup of all of my digital (and scanned) photos as they are irreplaceable.
    Certainly online storage is hot at the moment, but for purely archival storage, it might be hard to justify a large monthly fee. For off-site storage of older files you don't need to access from everywhere, you could burn your photo archives to a $75 500GB USB hard drive and leave it at a relative's home in another town, or in a desk drawer at your office. Then you could use a smaller online account for working files. Fragmentation is unfortunate, but photo files can be huge. And voluminous. Just a thought.

From my very limited investigations, SugarSync seems to be a reasonable option.
    I haven't read about SugarSync before. It's not cheap, but the MozyPro and Carbonite Pro products, which allow you to back up external or networked storage, also are not cheap.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Is 30GB enough storage room or would you be looking at one of the more expensive plans? The best way is to take advantage of the trials and see which fits your needs the best. I'm not sure about directly backing up a NAS unless you can use ftp or some compatible protocol like that. Mapping to a system should work but are the critical backup files duplcated on one system or on several or on another NAS-type drive or not at all? Carbonite is very good if you have one system that contains all the backup data on internal drives. I've been using the Acronis Online backup at the 250 gigs for $50 a year plan level and it initially had some connection problems but it seems to be working smoothly now and its 250 gigs from any system drive source (again not sure of NAS) so that's a decent plan.

I think if you absolutely have to get the NAS to be the cloud backup source, that should be your search priority. If SugarSnyc gives you that and others don't it might be worth the extra expense.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    I have been thinking that I really should have a backup of all of my digital (and scanned) photos as they are irreplaceable. Most of the rest of my online stuff would be a huge pain to lose but would not be as personally bad. on this.

I would be interested to hear of peoples thoughts about online backups as well as any recommendations on which one to use.
    Craig,
    Hello.... Why not just "Image " to an external Hd , flash drive , etc. ? There are free imaging program's Macrium Reflect , just to name one http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.asp and avoid the hassle and expense of on line storage. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the suggestions.

Regarding backing up to a USB drive and leaving it somewhere else, that is definitely an option. That had been the way I thought I would do it, I have been thinking of that for over a year, but the fact that I still haven't overcome the intertia to go and buy a drive, do a backup and drop it off at my sister's house made me think that something that does offsite backups automatically without me doing anything (apart from setup) might be the way to go. More expensive, yes, but a more expensive option that gets done is preferable to a cheaper option that doesn't. I think.

About the online backups, I have currently 18GB of photos on single mapped drive on a Synology DS210J NAS. But there is another 21GB of video as well that I guess should be backed up as well.

Wow, when I actually look at it perhaps the USB HD might be a much smarter move. But I would still like to explore the online option to be sure, especially since, as I said, the USB one has yet to be implemented after a long time of thinking that I should.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Craig - 2 Terabyte internal or USB drives are available for less than $100 each. Buy two. It will be much less expensive than some of the online services. Copy (or "image") all important data to the first one and give it to your trusted sister for safe keeping. When some more files need a backup, use the second drive (backup or "image" all files again) and trade it with your sister. Continue the process of backing up all files and trading the drives with your sister for safekeeping.

Thanks
    I have to concur with the USB External HD option. As Tim states it is very inexpensive to buy large storage devices. If you have 2, the chances both will go bad at the same time your PC dies is very small. These devices are becoming very mainstream and very reliable. I personally use the Seagate Free Agent Go device. It is an ultra small portable and yet has up to 1 TB capacity, Very nice!. Save the monthly expense and keep your backups safe yourself.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Wouldn't be saying this even a few years ago but 40 gigs is 'nuthin,' easilly fits into the cubby corner of the average hard drive these days. I don't have a sister and I'm even less motivated to actively backup. So here's two possible solutions from the set it and forget it mindset.

Assuming your data is not only on the NAS, cuz that's not a backup, your original data fits nicely on a 500 gig (or whatever you have) internal drive and it syncronizes with the NAS automatically or you just put a copy in each place at the time of saving or whatever. So you just get Carbonite and backup that internal data for $50 a year and done, only have to be remided of it when its time to renew the subscription.

Two, assuming this sister also has a computer and is connected to the Internet and that you are running Window 7 or Vista, you get yourself a Live account from Microsoft (or a hotmail or MSN account will also do), install Live Mesh, get a portable USB drive if needed for your sister's computer, and syncronize/backup your data to her place without ever even moving a finger. Free off-site backup minus the cost of any additional drive you might need to get.

Three copies, internal, NAS and off site, your choice of off-site.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Byron Tarbox View Post
    Assuming your data is not only on the NAS, cuz that's not a backup, your original data fits nicely on a 500 gig (or whatever you have) internal drive and it syncronizes with the NAS automatically or you just put a copy in each place at the time of saving or whatever. So you just get Carbonite and backup that internal data for $50 a year and done, only have to be remided of it when its time to renew the subscription.
    The data is only on the NAS in RAID 1, so it is protected against drive failure but not from house fire, theft of device etc. When I download my photos from the camera they go straight to the NAS.

Two, assuming this sister also has a computer and is connected to the Internet and that you are running Window 7 or Vista, you get yourself a Live account from Microsoft (or a hotmail or MSN account will also do), install Live Mesh, get a portable USB drive if needed for your sister's computer, and syncronize/backup your data to her place without ever even moving a finger. Free off-site backup minus the cost of any additional drive you might need to get.
    I like the sound of this option. My sister isn't real tech savvy and has kids that muck about with the computer so this may not be the best option, but I have a friend that is who is tech savvy and maybe we could arrange a reciprocal arrangement. Could you lay it out a little more for me? This could be very interesting.