New Lounger
    Thanks
    A neighbour of mine lost his local admin password on his XP laptop and I was able to set it to blank using the utility described in http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/.
    I was concerned that this was so easy and this works with NT and Vista. Why has Windows allowed such a security weakness?

Thanks
    This is why each version of Windows has improved security. Win 7 is considered much more secure than Win XP. Since there will be no further improvements to Win XP, this is a valid argument to update. A Google search does reveal many articles on these differences.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Security does get better with each version but anytime there is physical access, all bets are off anyway, and also security is inversely related to useability. So the inverse argument would be, forgot password and now all the important data on that system is gone because there is no way to gain access anymore without the password.

Now mulitply such an instance by say by 10 million. Of those 10 million incidences, how many would be people who forgot the password and how many would be people trying to break into the computer (rather than just wipe it and start over) after some illegal aquisition activity of some sort? The answer of why is in the balance, whatever that may be; say its 90 to 10 ratio as an example; 10 people mad at you for allowing there to be a way to bypass so-called security is better than 90 mad at you cuz thier data is not accessible if not backed up elsewhere.

So there are ways to provide physical presence security, namely encryption, but then it really is paramount to go error free for the duration; forget the password then and it really is gone for good.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    For 60, I purchased Active@ Password resetter that works well with XP, Vista and Win 7. It will remove the admin password and any other logon password and works from a bootable CD Very handy when you don't have all of a client's passwords and you want to make sure all viruses and malware are cleaned off. So security hasn't gotten that much better with the passing of time.