Thread: Anonyproz VPN?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi!

I'm thinking of adding some protection against WiFi spies by connecting to the Web through Anonyproz' Web VPN service, but unlike some other vpn providers, he's awfully cagey about letting anyone find out who, where, and what he is. I'm worried that he might abuse my signup information (I want to use PayPal), or more problematically, my data going through his server.

Any comments?

Thanks.
    D.
    Good luck.
    D.

Thanks
    If in doubt, do not sign up.

I could not immediately visit that web site for more information. Trend Micro Internet Security Pro said the site "might transmit malicious software to your computer, or has done that before to someone else. It may also show signs of involvement in online scams or fraud." I think the latter probably is more to the point, in that proxies can be used for good or ill, but I haven't researched this one in detail.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have no problem trusting complete strangers on the Internet. It all has to start with individuals right? One person trusts the next and the next until it comes full circle and everyone trusts everyone and the Internet is just one big happy place of warmth and trust.

Actually you should very clearly make the distinction between anonymity and security, they are very different concepts and while the connection between you and the service server may be secure it is just a regular old Internet connection from that point into the cloud, and so you'd be trusting the "thier" computer(s) is as safe and secure as your computer. Now hopefully they'd always be on top of their game right, but you have no control of that, just trust that they are, and that they don't collect traffic data for any purpose and the like.

I don't travel much so I don't have much call to use it but if I did and there was a strange new wireless connection to deal with all the time, I really like the idea of a tiny portable router you stick inbetween you and the wireless, create your own little secure local network and then tunnel back to your home system through a VPN and use one's own home system as your server. Or I think one can create thier own connection these days by tethering to a 3G signal right? Devices that can make you into a mobile hotspot wherever there is a signal.

You would definitely not be anonymous using any of those methods though. If that's where the emphasis is, then you need something like this service or the Tor/Onion router network to hide your IP identity.