New Lounger
    Thanks
    Situation... customer called and said his IE8 "send link"/"send page" by email feature not working. Outlook has not been started yet standalone.

I went by and took a look at the system. When this happens, Outlook does start according to task manager but gets "stuck". No cpu, no i/o, no memory delta. Lots of IO's have already taken place, so it seems to actually start running but something is locking it up.

If I start Outlook up first, LEAVE IT UP, and minimize it, the feature works fine. It only seems to cause a problem if the IE send link/page initiates the Outlook startup. If I then shut down Outlook, the same thing happens. So it's not a question of setting the default mail client.

After this "stuck" situation, I also cannot initiate outlook from the task bar. It glows for a bit then turns off and there is no outlook 2007 splash screen either.

Outlook is dead for that windows session.

No log entry. Windows 7 64 bit, IE8, Office Professional 2007, HP Pavilion Quad Core

I tried it with Firefox as well but it does the same thing.

It may be related to having the iPad sync Mobile Me feature, which seems to be related timewise. I disabled the iPad MobileMe program startup with msconfig, but the same thing happens. Mobile Me works fine and is syncing mail, contacts, and calendar to the iPad as scheduled.

A lot of people have reported this, but like most weird problems, all the posters do is ask more irrelevant questions to make themselves look smart without ever coming back with a solution even if the questions are answered. I used to the same thing when I was in tech support and was too busy to deal with a problem just then... that or "do a defrag". ;-)

Thanks for any suggestions!

Thanks
    To resolve problems with mailto links, it sometimes helps to change the default mail program to, say, Windows Mail, save that, and then change it back to Outlook. I don't know whether there is a simple procedure to refresh Windows' MAPI settings.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Brizzi View Post
    If I start Outlook up first, LEAVE IT UP, and minimize it, the feature works fine. It only seems to cause a problem if the IE send link/page initiates the Outlook startup. If I then shut down Outlook, the same thing happens. So it's not a question of setting the default mail client.
    Does it help to disable all add-ins in Outlook?

Tools > Trust Center > Add-ins > Manage "COM Add-ins" Go

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Will try that disabling addins next time I go there. I am very suspicious of the apple code based on the timing. Thanks!