New Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't have any other speakers set up, aside from the speakers on the monitor, but they use a headphone jack as well. the green one and the gray one are the jacks I use. [attachment=90816:6conn.gif]

It doesn't recognize: [attachment=90817:speakers-notification.png]
    when anything's plugged in or out of the green jack, but it will tell me when I plug in and out of the gray jack. however, neither gives me sound. When I go to "manage audio devices," it tells me there I have nothing plugged in.

I'm running home premium, 32-bit. I've had it three years, the sound was fine up until a few days ago.

before having no sound, I missed an update to adobe flash player and uninstalled a codec pack for (I think) playing videos: http://shark007.net/vistacodecpackage.html
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Hi M. Chapman, and welcome to the Lounge!

Have you considered reinstalling the codec pack just to see if that brings the sound back? It is coincidental that your sound quit after uninstalling the codec pack.

Have you checked Device Manager to see if your sound driver is functioning properly? It may be worth installing a fresh driver.

Check the Event Viewer Windows Logs > Applications and System for any errors logged related to your sound device or driver.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I did try reinstalling the codec pack. still no sound.

Reltek High Definition Audio is listed under Sound, video and game controllers, it doesn't look like anything's going wrong in there.

I'm not so familiar with Event Viewer, but I don't THINK I saw any errors related to the sound device or driver. we're about to bring the computer in for someone to hopefully fix our sound. I'll update you when it's fixed.

thank you!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by M. Chapman View Post
    I don't have any other speakers set up, aside from the speakers on the monitor, but they use a headphone jack as well. the green one and the gray one are the jacks I use. [attachment=90816:6conn.gif]

It doesn't recognize: [attachment=90817:speakers-notification.png]
    when anything's plugged in or out of the green jack, but it will tell me when I plug in and out of the gray jack. however, neither gives me sound. When I go to "manage audio devices," it tells me there I have nothing plugged in.

I'm running home premium, 32-bit. I've had it three years, the sound was fine up until a few days ago.

before having no sound, I missed an update to adobe flash player and uninstalled a codec pack for (I think) playing videos: http://shark007.net/...decpackage.html
    If, I am correct you have an HP PC. As you state Green is for monitor speakers, the head phone jack is on the front panel.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!