Star Lounger
    Thanks

Netscape vs. IE in Outlook Express

Does any know how to get Outlook Express to launch Netscape instead of IE when clicking on a web link in an email item?
    Any and all suggestions will be appreciated.

Chance

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Netscape vs. IE in Outlook Express

What is set as your default browser? That is, when you click on an .htm or .html extension, does IE or Netscape open?

I use Netscape for email so I can't really check, but it's my understanding that the default browser will open, whatever it is.

You can change the file association by selecting an .htm file on your hard drive, pressing shift & right clicking. Then choose Open With... & check the box "always use this etc.". Browse for Netscape & click OK.

Hope this helps.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Paul for the response. Netscape is set for the default browser ..... and it was my understanding that any .htm or .html file would launch netscape ... NOT true .... from Outlook Express it launches IE ... I've been all over Express for default settings and cannot find any option that addresses the issue. The only other piece of information that I can give is that the pages that are opening in IE have been sent from a computer that uses IE.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I may be wrong but I think you're out of luck. When you're inside an application, as opposed to using the Windows shell, you're stuck with its settings.

I realized this when I remembered that I have IE set as my default browser, but when I click an email link from inside Netscape, it uses Netscape to browse.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for all of your efforts .... it's a VERY frustrating thing when you can't even use the program of choice.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

[img]/w3timages/icons/thinks.gif[/img]Although I think you're both right, you can work around the problem with shortcuts.

On the Netscape icon on your desktop, create a shortcut key (right click, Properties, put your cursor in the Shortcut key box and type an "n"). When you have a link in an e-mail message, instead of clicking, right click and select copy link. Then even if NS is closed, you can key Ctrl+Alt+N and paste the url into the address box.

[img]/w3timages/icons/sick.gif[/img]Yeah, it's a pain... but at least you're not forced to use IE.
    Karen

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Karen .... he's been selecting the link and copying it into the Netscape browser ... I will suggest the shortcut key to him. I appreciate your input .... sometimes you just have to accept there is not "good" solution to a problem ... and go on.

Chance

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sad but true. It really does make one want to [img]/w3timages/icons/scream.gif[/img] at times... of course, now that I'm at work (and it may be a function of either Win2K or OL2K and not work in OL Express on your OS) if I shift+click the link, I get an explorer window to browse for my browser executable... I don't know if that's a sticky setting since I don't have NS at work, but... worth a try. Please let me know if it works.
    Karen