Thread: Verizon SMTP

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I recently added a second email account (Verizon) and I'm having trouble sending mail when the From address is not a Verizon address. I get the following error msg:

550 5.7.0 From address mismatch: envelope <hdhillman34@verizon.net> and header <"Hillman, Howard (hdhillman@alum.mit.edu)"@nodomainspecified.verizo n.net>

hdhillman@alum.mit.edu is my e-mail "forwarding for life" and relays to the Verizon account. If I leave the From address blank, the mail gets sent without problem. It uses the Verizon From address. When I use my other, older ISP account (a-commvds.com) I can put my mit.edu address in the From without problems. Is Verizon trying to prevent spam here? Is there a way for me to fix this?
    HH

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Hillman View Post
    Is Verizon trying to prevent spam here? Is there a way for me to fix this?
    It really does appear that they are trying to block either spam or fraudulent messages or both. You can use your alum address as the Reply-To address, but that isn't a complete substitute for a From address. Does Verizon offer any workaround for this?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I use an external email provider (fastmail) who allows me to send mail from anywhere on the internet, bypassing my ISP. I thing gmail also allows this.

cheers, Paul