New Lounger
    Thanks
    I goofed royally. I had two hard drives. the newer one had to be reformatted. So I used Easeus and made the mistake of deleting the partition. This left me at a dos screen with no where to go, just the 'dhcp' and the little twirling baton. I thought I could reinstall the xp os from my flash drive I put the files on to some time ago realizing that the cd rom was on it's way out. The OS is on a cruzer, I thought I was able to boot from that but the problem (at least one of them) is that I can't get into the bios to change the boot order, it asks for a password and I don't have a clue what it is. and also, there is no option for flash drive either, just Atapi, floppy, hard drive and a fourth one, can't remember it. I don't remember ever putting a password in there but from what I've read it seems to come with the system. So, using a neighbors computer, hoping to find help on what to do about getting my hard drive back in working order. The second hard drive....my older one I replaced with this newer one....yes, I did the same thing. except this time I thought I did it right by wiping or 'erasing' the hard drive as opposed to deleting the partition as with the first. I wanted to put the same programs on it and thought reformatting the older one was the way to go. It was put away for a few years and everything was 'old'....but, again, can't get the flash drive to boot. You'd think I'd realize that from the first time around. So.....the first drive (newer 100gb) is partitionless....the second (60gb) is wiped clean. Like to get the newer back if possible. Anyone give me a clue? Thanks for any help.
    some specs on my lap are pavilion zv5000, xp home, phoenix bios.

Thanks
    If your Windows XP disk is an actual genuine XP disk, borrow a friends disk and input your own product key when asked.
    Both your disks have to be the same version of XP with the same service pack, no OEM disks.

If your laptop came with a passworded bios direct from HP, look over HP's website for a set of generic passwords and try it otherwise you may
    have to reset the bios' jumper. That means taking the laptop apart.

Rework your flash drive on a freinds computer to DVD disk. make it an iso format.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.