Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks
    can someone tell me the easiest way to hook up two laptops to use a working cdrom on one to install an OS on the other (cdrom not working)? I got into the bios and there is no option to boot from a flash drive. thanks for any help. Not even close to being "tech minded", appreciate it.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Hi spaceyman, AFAIK you will need a USB type of CD Rom.
    George's PC Specs. / Laptop. Desktop.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by spaceyman View Post
    ........ I got into the bios and there is no option to boot from a flash drive. thanks for any help. ........
    What boot options does the BIOS show?

What make and model are the laptops?

Take a look at prices to just replace the failed CD ROM drive.

Thanks
    If the hard drives are compatible, take the drive out of the machine the CD/DVD ROM doesn't work and install it the the machine that does, then install the os, replace.
    Otherwise your looking at replacing the CD/DVD device on your laptop.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    OS on the laptop or not? No OS and can't boot from USB means you are going to have to fix the hardware problem. If there is an OS then you can get or make and ISO of the Win7 DVD, install a free virtual drive program (I like VirtualCloneDrive), mount the ISO and install from that. I've even done that with the ISO on a networked drive, worked fine.

I've also read that one person was able to just copy the DVD to another partition and install but I don't know the particulars...I'm going to experiment on that one myself and see what happens.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    the laptop I can use to install on the lap that has the non working cdrom isn't mine. I can just use it for the cdrom if it were possible to connect the two. But probably the best thing to do is replace it as suggested. the lap that needs a replaced cdrom is a hp pavilion, I'll have to look at the manual how to replace and if it's difficult. I would rather do it myself even if it's not easily done.

The boot options were 'hard drive' (to which I was able to see where I had the cruzer flash drive plugged, it has the os on the stick) But it doesn't seem to want to boot to it. The computer is stuck on that dark screen, the new message says "operating system missing" The other three options in bios is floppy disk (don't have) Atapi cdrom (if thats the cd rom, doesn't work) and last is network adapter.
    The borrowed lap is a dell, and not compatible. If I could somehow get the lap to boot from that flash drive, would I be able to install the os from it? If I could do that then it would give me some time to get a new cdrom...looks like Im really limited in what I can do. That dang cd rom works but it just won't pick up on the cd, it keeps spinning with a faint click sound as it goes around, if I could only get one more out of it. It had been like that for some time, I would have to open and shut it again for it to work, but it always would until a couple days ago. Thanks for the advice.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I looked around and thought about what would be the best way to go, and another suggestion here was to get a usb cdrom. I saw one in Amazon.com being a cd/dvd both read and write for under $50, Samsung USB 2.0 8x DVD Writer External Optical Drive for Mac and PC SE-S084C/RSBN (Gloss Black). From the reader reviews it seems like it's compatible with most computers. One review mentioning the bios had to be setup to boot from usb.....but once I connect this it should be ok, shouldn't it? Thanks, anyone have a suggestion on a better device?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    .......... the lap that needs a replaced cdrom is a hp pavilion, I'll have to look at the manual how to replace and if it's difficult. I would rather do it myself even if it's not easily done. .......
    Your HP manual may have instructions similar to the following link....
    How to Replace the CD Burner Laser on an HP Laptop

Before buying a new internal, try taking out the old and putting the old back in.

Good luck !!!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello Spaceman.

Being of the old school, I remembered that this was possible in days of yore. So, I dialed up Help Cum Support and see what I got when I typed in :

Direct Cable Connection. Do the same, you should be able to use one Device into the other laptop. It used to be done on the LPT1, the big printer header, now it is done on the RJ-45. Good grief, where will it stop ???

Connect two computers using a crossover cable

If you need to connect two computers but you don't have access to a network and can't set up
    an ad hoc network, you can use an Ethernet crossover cable to create a direct cable connection.

Generally speaking, a crossover cable is constructed by reversing (or crossing over) the order
    of the wires inside so that it can connect two computers directly. A crossover cable looks almost
    exactly like a regular Ethernet cable (a straight-through cable), so make sure you have a crossover
    cable before following these steps.

Before buying a crossover cable, check your network adapter. Some newer network adapters
    automatically cross over when they detect that they're connected directly to another network
    adapter using a regular Ethernet cable.

To connect two computers with a crossover cable
    This works best if both computers are running this version of Windows or Windows Vista.

Plug each end of the crossover cable into a network port on the back of each computer.

On one of the computers that's running this version of Windows, do the following:

Click to open Network and Sharing Center.

In the network map at the top of Network and Sharing Center, double-click the Unidentified network*
    icon. (If you have more than one network, this icon will be labeled Multiple networks.)

If network discovery and file sharing are turned off, in Network, click the information bar
    containing the following message: "Network discovery and file sharing are turned off. Network
    computers and devices are not visible. Click to change...," and then click Turn on network
    discovery and file sharing. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation,
    type the password or provide confirmation.

Is this what you seeked ? Jean.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    can someone tell me the easiest way to hook up two laptops to use a working cdrom on one to install an OS on the other (cdrom not working)? I got into the bios and there is no option to boot from a flash drive. thanks for any help. Not even close to being "tech minded", appreciate it.
    Does the target computer have (a) a floppy drive AND (b) a network interface???
    Do your part!!! Report SPAM to http://www.spamcop.net/

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The only way I know to use the cdrom on the second computer is if you have a booting system on the first computer that you can network.

If this is the case, you could create a second partion on laptop 1 and copy the install cd into that partition. You could then install from that partition, however, you cannot do a clean install this way, only an upgrade.

To do a clean install you must have a way to boot the install media. Purchasing a USB dvd drive may be the cheapest and easiest option but you must be sure before you spend the money that your machine can boot from a usb cd drive.

Can you give us the exact model of your machine?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have spent many hours trying to create a bootable install usb stick for windows XP and have always been unsuccessful. (If someone has a foolproof method that has worked for them, bring it on.)

The windows 7 install cd has a wizard for this that makes it easy.......however, that doesn't help for XP.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Mercyh, you surprise me. A nice day to you.

The surprise is your inability to do this bootable stick. I followed the instructions on an old Secrets page and did it first time around, no secret at all, I am not that savvy in this binary world either. I wil try and find this text for you.

Try this : http://windowssecrets.com/2010/07/08/06-Rescue-Windows-with-a-bootable-flash-drive ..This is where I got educated.

.............Jean.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I''m not a subscriber so I only see the headline and teaser, which only indicates making a bootable Windows rescue/recover toolkit (it doesn't even mention which OS). Does the article go on to mention the USB unit can be used to do a full install?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Byron, very good question............ Does the article go on to mention the USB unit can be used to do a full install?

I will go back and check. St-by !

I do not know if this is copyrighted so I will not quote the whole article but the header says :

By Lincoln Spector
    Using Windows system rescue CDs isn't practical if your machine isn't equipped with an optical drive.
    Fortunately, a clever solution may be sitting on your desk: take a flash drive you have at hand, add some
    software, and create a custom, USB-based, bootable Windows recovery toolkit!

He says that a USB thumbdrive ought to be > 4 G, I presume that it involves loading a whole DVD to install the OS. I will look further if you are interested.

Be good..............Jean.

Edit, this added paragraph :

Now simply drag and drop all the files from the CD to the flash drive. This technique will work with any CD or DVD that boots into Windows 7 or Vista PE, including an actual Windows 7 installation DVD. (For that, you'll need a larger flash drive — about 4GB will do.)

It looks like the whole CD/DVD is transplanted to the USB key, Byron.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast