Thread: 32 -64 mix nix

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    This was unintentional, but I appear to have blundered into mixing 32-bit and 64-bit apps in my Office installation, which includes Visio and Project. Since they are all considered part of Office 2010 and share office files among applications, I had repeated error messages that I couldn't understand until I realized what must have happened. This was shortly after I started using Visio for the first time and I finally caught on to the fact that I had installed 32-bit Office on this computer but must have unthinkingly installed 64-bit Visio and/or Project. The problem now is that I am having trouble uninstalling any of them (and I would prefer to leave Office itself installed since I have done a fair amount of tweaking). Help would be welcome.

Thanks
    Am I correct to assume your operating system is Windows 7, 64 bit?
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint Rossmere View Post
    Am I correct to assume your operating system is Windows 7, 64 bit?
    Yes.

Thanks
    This is a slightly old thread, but since a resolution has not been posted, were you able to get rid of the incompatible apps? I might try Revo Uninstaller or Absolute Uninstaller to uninstall the incorrect bitness apps. It is possible a complete uninstall will be necessary, but who knws, perhaps ridding yourself of Vision and Project will do the trick.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    This is a slightly old thread
    Come now, as my threads go, it is brand spanking new, but I confess I did forget I had started it. I have several from eons ago that I have yet to close with a proper reply (e.g. batch conversion of *.doc to *.docx).

The problem has been resolved, and I confirmed it thanks to your reminder. Quite a few things were going on, so I performed a straight restore (with Acronis 2011). This restored the drive to its state of about a week (or two, on reflection), I performed the updates to bring it up to date, and all appeared to work. I can't recall what I did or didn't check, but your post led me to back it up again in full (for the partition), and I just tried both Visio and Project and both are in fine shape. Office has been working all along since the restore, but I'm not sure myself whether of not I checked Visio and Project, which are considered part of Office if you have them, as I do. My speculation that I had mixed 64-bit and 32-bit was obviously wrong.

The machine is running very well, thank you. My one complaint is that my usual source of tutorials for software (Lynda.com) only covers Visio up to 2007, although I expect I can get the significant portions of the 2010 version from MS sources. In sum, yes it is fixed, but I have no idea as to what was wrong in the first place. That, I think, is a fine argument in favour of backups and imaging. It took me back to a 'known good' configuration.

Thanks
    Glad it's working OK. I agree, Backups and Images are true lifesavers. I've lost count on how often I screwed things up and had to restore from an Up To Date Image. It takes just a few minutes and voila, back to where you began. Yes it's nice to know what is causing a problem, but is the knowledge worth the hours of effort when you can be cack up and running in 10 minutes. Perhaps, perhaps not. Happy holidays!

edit: spelling correction
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy